Rust

Guest maco

Guest Angel Boy

I think one of the issues with the vinegar method is that it will use up the agent which is causing the reaction to take place. I'm not a chemist and remembering those GCSE chemistry lessons is hard, but I think it is the Acetic Acid part which is causing the rust to clear. I guess it is a very mild form of acid cleaning.

As a thought, if you try heating the vinegar up, the reaction might be quicker but ultimately the acid part which is doing the cleaning will run out. You could always try combining the vinegar and electolysis method???? :vava: =@ :80:

Andy

I think one of the issues with the vinegar method is that it will use up the agent which is causing the reaction to take place. I'm not a chemist and remembering those GCSE chemistry lessons is hard, but I think it is the Acetic Acid part which is causing the rust to clear. I guess it is a very mild form of acid cleaning.

As a thought, if you try heating the vinegar up, the reaction might be quicker but ultimately the acid part which is doing the cleaning will run out.

That's right but the same is true of the electrolysis method - the electrolyte (the soda) will also be consumed in the reaction.

You could always try getting hold of acetic acid from a catering supplies place - they mix it with water (and possibly other stuff) for table vinegar. Tends to be called non-brewed condiment. You also get acetic acid for use in industrial applications but that's a dodgy area as it is mucho corrosive in it's concentrated form - if you stick to catering "strength" stuff you should be fairly safe. Table vinegar is around a 5% solution I think and yes pickling vinegar is stronger.

Iain

Hi

I use citric acid for kettle de-scaling.

Imagine my surprise when sainsburys chemist dept

would only sell me 2 tiny packets.

It's used for mixing with drugs for what ever reason. :o :o

swan

Not acetic acid but citric (senior moment)

yep, heroin, gives you a better bang for your buck.... apparently!!!

My mum has had a similar problem, she uses it for making lemonade.

The citrus breaks down the heroin powder and after mixing with water and heating in the spoon, it can easily be drawn up into the needle.

It replaced squeezy lemon juice as an acid for choice as this contained anti fungicidal that made people blind.

But there are some old school users who prefer vinegar.. :o

I have real problem getting leather thread in my needle. Will it help with that ? :D

What about the good old days when Heroins were in Enid Blyton, feeling a bit queer after a dodgy winkle was expected, coke was given to children by adults they knew and you could bomb around town without being shot as a Terrorist.