Kit Car Insurance For A 20 Year Old

steve_wilson

hi all,

my hood is just about finished (few bits here and there left) so i'm starting to look for insurance to drive it to the iva.

i know most of the usuals i.e. adrian flux, roadsure etc but i know some of them are fussy over how old you've got to be.

has anyone got any suggestions/experiences?

if you have then how much am i looking at paying?

Many thanks, Andy (steve's son)

It will be beter when you are 21 , I asked recently when re insuring the jeep re including my 18 year old lad and only one firm would quote for under 21s and it was so crazy we didn't even consider it

We are on £80 fullycomp 1600 garaged with 3k max mileage extra £20 but ys fullbreakdown cover. Graham Sykes

Edited by trextr7monkey

Guest Ian & Carole

Just done my re-newal with Frank Pickles, won't tell you what it cost cause it would only upset you :D one of the few perks of being an old b*****d

They do give a largeish discount for paid up members of the club though.

to be honest i think kit car insurance is pretty good value for money compared to my tin top insurance!

will have to keep searching. i've heard footman james is quite reasonable so i'll give them a try tomorrow morning. i'll let you know what the damage is!

Guest joenortheast

i'm 23 and went with sure term it was a good deal i think and got a good discount as i was a member and that's just reminded me to renew lol

oh and it was cheaper with them with no no claims than some others mirroring the 4 off my tin top

I’m with Fluxy, around £350 for me. (21 years old, no NCB).

My old 1.2 corsa with 2 years NCB was £450 last year.

Most companies will offer around a 15% discount to club members so for us young ones its well worth joining.

Andy

Guest ScottG

Be very careful.

Sureterm gave me the best price by far, promised me everything was ok and called about 3 times a day till I agreed to take it out with them. Went over all the details again and it turns out they couldnt insure me as I didnt have a previous years experience with a kit car (althought I am 26 with 7 years NCB)

Although be very apologetic for there negligence I didnt stop me having to fork out a significant amount more for cover, both on the policy and excess.

Guest loopyonion

I'm 35, robin hood s7 mk2, 2000cc ohc. 6 k value on fully comp, limited mileage, got quote for 110 quid ish, 88 quid parts only. Quote through frank pickles who's details were in the club magazine.

Top no nonsence service. He will be getting my business!

• 5 weeks later...

just thought i'd post back with my findings!

managed to get graham sykes to insure me tpft with my dad on as a named driver for £700. expensive compared to you guys, but not bad for my age!

thanks for the help! andy