Driving With The Hood On The 'hood.

Guest Stuartl

Guest Stuartl

Now I know that out type of cars are meant for sunny days and that winter for most but not all is a time when the cars and their owners are confined to the garage for extended periods. For me that will be an ideal way of escaping the in-laws when they arrive on Christmas Eve. :D

Maybe prompted by the sun-rain-sun-rain we have had over the past 3 weeks or so I wondered if anyone minded driving their car with the hood on?

I have to say my car is dreadful to drive with the roof on as there is not enough headroom for me. (I am only 5'9")

This means that my driving is restricted to when there is no prospect of rain at all which in this Country isn't very often.

<_<

I drive a fair bit with the hood on. Well fitted and tensioned it's dry, warm and fairly comfortable in winter. Also cuts the wind noise but not the engine intake roar. I use the car a lot. I prefer to dress for the day rather than the journey. Only need to wrap up well if doing more than 100 miles with the top off. I would strongly go for hood on or hood off. Can't stand surreys. Worst of both worlds.

Nigel

I am 6'3" and had the same problem. I made a new hood from light grey rip stop nylon and doors from polycarbonate sheet. This gives loads of headroom and also lets the light in as well. I never have to worry about the weather.

post-347-005676600 1282386140_thumb.jpg

When I fitted my roof I made sure it suited me (6ft 4) but it was still not easy to drive. I then lowered the drivers seat, which was better. I've not tried driving with the roof on with my new seats, but it should be better cos my line of sight is about 2 inches lower. New seats are Cobra Roadster 7's and I feel like I'm sitting in the car now, not on it like before.

Nick

Guest peter2b2002

I've used my 2b with it's surrey with home made side doors on over winter 2 years ago when my tin top was off the road, the only problem was I need a very long arm to wipe the inside of the windscreen, + I made a hoop to lift the roof up a bit

peter2b

post-955-009863400 1282401377_thumb.jpg

Guest The Modfather

I drove all the way back from Le Mans with just the roof on. I'm 6'00" and my head doesn't touch the roof. I have the GBS high back buckets. Cannot wear a helmet with the roof on as the hood stays rub my helmet :yahoo:

If you fit the side buffer screens to the windscreen pillars they help as well.

I would take out any spacers you have under the seat and drop it. Get rid of the runners too if you have them.

Darren

Guest The Modfather

They do seem to work quite well considering, here's a picture of mine at work in the snow, most people had left, mad motorcyclist didn't mind though!

I bet that was fun to drive home. Did you get out of first gear?

Guest cerioli_83

My girlfriend demands roof up...

I sometimes am allowed doors. But if i leave doors and roof at home i get a nice peaceful drive... Haha.

Only issue i get is a good gassing and smelling like i've been working on the engine.