When Is A Stopping Distance A Gap

baj25

I like to leave what I believe is a reasonable stopping distance from the car in front- I use the 2 second rule in the dry, which is what I learned from motorcycling. But lately, people pulling out from side roads seem to think this is a gap to be pulled out into. I beg to differ, as I have to slow right down while they feebly crawl up to the traffic speed, and often go slower than the other traffic/speed limit. Is it just me that this happens to, or am I the only one that leaves stopping distance these days! I had a look on ebay for some Q inspired forward firing armaments, but none turned up yet ;-) <rant mode OFF>, Brian

also think people have got so used to 5 star NCAP cars with anti this and that to get them out of trouble. doesn't help though if the person who hits you doesn't have the same protection, but they don't think of that.

I think i'm a much better driver after having the 2b, you realise how big everyone else is and it doesn't half make you stay alert.

Guest Chutney

As my motorcycling instructor always said "if these modern "safe" cars had a steel spike on the steering wheel, you can bet people would drive more carefully."

I don't pretend to be the best driver, but I do play a game of pointing out to my passengers what a driver will do before he/she does it.

Don't get me started on indicator use.

Guest scrabster

its the same on motorways ,i like to leave a decent gap to the car infront and there is always someone who thinks the gap is for them.especially coming towards a junction they want to exit and immediatley brake as they pull infront of you.

you are right,rant is possible,:spiteful::and now over,deep breaths,deep breaths.aaaannnndddd calm.:mellow:

regards, jess,

Guest The Modfather

People over estimate their own ability and the ability of their vehicle.

The only thing everyone should remember is "You should drive in a way that you can stop in the distance you can see to be clear on your side of the road". That is from Roadcraft, the police drivers bible. If everyone done this then there wouldn't be any rear enders or T junction pull out collisions.

'nuf said!

Guest Captain Daz

I think people aren't taught roadcraft or roadsmanship. They're taught to operate a car. There's a big difference.

There should only be 3 chances to pass your test. If you fail 3 times you obviously don't have the aptitude to handle a vehicle. End of story.

Ok.....I'll stop now.

I too like to leave a gap but on occasion after sitting at the end of our road for ages, i admit i have used the 260 ponies under my right foot to steal someone else’s gap. :spiteful:

I have to turn right and go east bound in a morning on the duel carriage way when every body else in Hull seams to want to go west, it can get quite frustrating that nobody lets me out. :unknw:

Guest scrabster

guy at work last week heard his car alarm go off,so he ran outside to find a transit sized van had rubbed the paint of his o/s/f bumper and part of the wing.he ran at the van shouting "what the f&$k you playin at mate,are you f&*£$%g blind" when out popped an officer of the law who told him to calm down,politely."i hope your insured" says my mate,"how did you manage to hit it anyway" apparentley a car parked opposite hadnt left enough room for other road users,and had just popped in next door.he is still waiting for a reply.:blush:

jess.

Guest holmestr1972

I must say that i do leave plenty of space in front when i am driving my daily car yet when in my toy drivers are oblivious especially on roundabouts cos i am alot lower than them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Guest Chutney

Just treat driving your car like most bike riders do. Assume that

A- nobody can see you

B- everyone else is stupid

C- everyone is trying to kill you.

This way you will positively avoid other road users and notice everybody.

On the "open road" I try to drive without using the brakes;brake applications mean to me that I haven't read the road & conditions correctly,so my gaps tend to be on the generous side which usually will accomodate the gap fillers. My pet gripe is when "pressing on" you get total numptys sitting in the outside lane for mile after mile when middle & sometimes nearside lanes have long gaps.

My driving instructor told me to assume all the other drivers were idiots, and to make appropriate allowance for them.

Thirty several years later it's kept me in one piece, but it seems to apply more every day.

Grumpy old man session over ........... happy February everyone, it won't be long before the weather's above freezing .... woopee !!!