Fake Emails From Me!

enforcer

Well what a day it's been. <_<

Shortly before midday today everyone I have every emailed or received an email from me was sent an message from my email account:

"I'm writing this with tears in my eyes, I came down here to Madrid,Spain for a short vacation unfortunately I was mugged at the park of the hotel where I lodged,all cash,credit card and cell were stolen off me but luckily I still have my passport with me. I have been to the embassy and the Police here but they're not helping issues at all and my flight leaves in less than some hrs from now but am having problems settling the hotel bills and the hotel manager won't let me leave until I settle the bills,I'm freaked out and confused at the moment I really need your help.. I'll be waiting for your response so you can get help to me right now.

I need you to help me out."

For the record I am safe and well in sunny Telford and have never been to Madrid in my life. This email has caused me quite a bit of embarrassment (it was sent to, among others, a Chief Superintendent, two Superintendents, my local Dominos and the Chairman of the Robin Hood Owners Club and Register (who very kindly called to make sure all was well - thanks again Steve :friends: ).

So if anyone else has received this email from me ... I apologise! I'm just a little hurt that not one person emailed back and offered to wire me some money!!! <_<

Well I never, my sister sent me the exact same message word for word from Madrid and like you she has never been there.

We think it was her Facebook account that was hacked as most of her FB friends got the message.

Yes I have had similar from 2 different contacts, both hotmail by the way. One was in Africa needing dosh to continue her charity mission search.gif

Another asking me to buy from a great electrical Chinese website.

Changing your passwords and/or just use internet webmail as opposed to windows outlook style stuff usually works

Andi

Just make sure you didn't have any other passwords with your emails as they could have been compromised.

I'm sure one of the people at work had a virus that crashed their outlook but not before picking up the FTP password for their website from an email, which then had some nice malware loaded onto it.

Sounds stupid but its actually safer to write your passwords down on a piece of paper, than store anywhere on your computer.

thinking about hacking, wonder what happened to that british chap the Americans were trying to get extradited for hacking the US government computers? If i was british intelligence service i think i'd arrange for him to go 'missing' and get him working for us rather than let the Americans use him. oops gone off on a tangent....

My e-mails got hacked recently, and every contact I have was sent an E-mail.

I found out when, one Sunday afternoon, my Wife's mobile made one of it's strange noises!! to say she had an E-mail. After looking at it, she asked me if I'd sent her an E-mail, I said "not today". She then told me her E-amil was from me, with a title something to do with pictures of my girlfriend.

Good job I was sat with her when the E-mail was sent, and my account showed no sent e-mails.

Changed password and nothing happened since.

Nick

This has happened to a few people, I no. (very recently) Two of them think they were hacked through there kids play station accounts. just a warning ? ............... HI