Diy High Level Brake Light- Rules/regs?

baj25

After following other RHs a fair few times and seeing how hard it can be to see their brake lights, I fancy fitting a high level brake light to help avoid getting rear ended. What are the regs on fitting them (location etc), I've found something that says if they are on vehicle centre line and above other brake lights that's OK- is that right? I plan on making one with leds, any regs on that (number of, viewing angle, intensity)? TIA, Brian

Guest MarkB

As far as mot goes we don't give a monkey what you have as long as your outer brake lights work, if your high level does mot work at the time of test we have to presume it is not connected, however if the presenter says the classic "it was working when I set off " then it becomes a fail point

Single CHMSLs should be mounted as close to centre line as practicable (small vans with 2 rear doors will have the lamp offset), must be higher than the mandatory stop lamps and no maximum height limit.

So mounted on the rear panel, to the side of the spare wheel would look odd (unless you used a pair), but would be acceptable.

Mounted under roll bar with wiring inside bar down into boot;No comment at IVA; may not suit those that use roof/surrey often.

Thought only one high brake light allowed,maybe two if post above O.K.

it's on top of the bar that the seat belt mount to on my 2b - that way it can be seen with roof on or off. I've had no issues with it being inside the hood.