Sump Weld

Thrashed

Hi guys

I thought that the sump plug was leaking, but turned out to be one of the welds just below.

It's a shortened sump and where the welds had been dressed back you can see the join.

My question is what's the best way to seal it. I put a bit of silicone over it and the leak stopped but want something more permanent. My thoughts are to us some solder or lead to seal it.

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Steve

Hi guys

Up date. Tried a bit of gasket sealer and this stopped the leak, so cleaned of the silicone and added solder. Thing started leaking again! :fool:

Think the best thing to do is just grind it all back and reweld. Might try johns idea first!!

Guest mower man

Welding is the only way ! and it will mean removing the sump , I did repair one while it was still bolted up but almost sh-t myself when I found the remnants of oil were on fire in the sump !! take it off and clean it out and if poss weld from both sides. Belt and braces may be but you will only do it once! mower man :acute: :good:

Mine leaked after I'd had it blasted and powdercoated (didn't leak beforehand so the blasting obviously dislodged some dodgey weld - not one of mine I might add).

I just drained the oil, ground off the powdercoating around the leak and migwelded it it situ. Seemed to have worked ok and easier than dropping the sump off.

Guest mower man

Mine leaked after I'd had it blasted and powdercoated (didn't leak beforehand so the blasting obviously dislodged some dodgey weld - not one of mine I might add).

I just drained the oil, ground off the powdercoating around the leak and migwelded it it situ. Seemed to have worked ok and easier than dropping the sump off.

Ithink you were very lucky ,but if its cured the leak great ,would not advise welding as sump in situ again whether its full not! Another way if you can see the fault is to peen it with a good centre punch if you are patient it's safe repair mower man :good:

Thanks guys

Took the sump off to sort the leak so going to get the mig out and do it on the bench.

At least I can see the flames easier!!

Once you've welded the sump and its cooled, ensure the outside is bone dry and sit it on the bench on some

kitchen towel or similar, then fill it with water (don't spill any on the towel). Any leaks will then stand out like a spare

pr1ck at a whores wedding. :good: Better still, leave it over night.

Baffles? do it now if not. ;)

Update...

Thanks for the tips guys, it seems to have worked. :rofl:

Ground it back, miged it and filled with oil on the bench and after 2 hours, no sign of a leak.

Will leave it overnight, but looks like job done.

I might tackle some baffles after the iva!!

Cheers

Steve

Problem with oil is it tends not to leak until its warm, hence I use water. ;)

Also, if you look on my pics there's one of my baffle plate.

Will empty the oil and give it a go with water, was just a little nervous as did not want to mix oil and water.

Baffle looks easy enough. Something for my winter projects list!!

Cheers