2b For Sale On Ebay

Guest marsbar

Guest marsbar

Spotted this on E Bay, and I was wondering if I could have the tax exempt fairy visit my 2B?

Obviously this should raise some interesting comments on how this can be achieved.

Looking at the car it looks to be finished of to a very good standard and a credit to the builder, and it has a Rhocar sticker on it, so someone may know the car and its history? and when it was IVA'd?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Robin-Hood-2B-not-Tiger-Westfield-Caterham-/140596255048?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20bc309948

Steve

Guest shaggy

Steve,

saw this at Tatton park over the weekend. totally legit for being tax exempt. Just wish I had thought of it before building mine, would have saved a small fortune.

Si

Guest marsbar

I may not be the sharpest tool in the box, but I cannot think of any way this tax exempt, as in registered before 1973, or is there another tax exempt?

Looked forward to learning a thing or two.

Cheers

Steve

Guest MickyD

Just echoing Steve's thoughts and wondering if there is any one out there that can shed some light on this.

I have a Dolomite based Hood and have to pay Tax on it but you don't on this 2B???

:unknw:

Michael

I think we all suspect/know there is no legitimate way to build a tax exempt kit car. However DVLA sometimes slip-up with registration status and get it wrong and there have been cunning things done in the past to fool DVLA. i.e. convincing them a Hood is a rebodied lotus 7 from 1965. Once it's down on the V5C as tax exempt it stays that way and DVLA would have no reason to examine it's registration status. They have wised up of late and are harder to fool thankfully.

Insurance companies faced with a payout do investigate and don't take kindly to ringers, false identities, dubious declarations for registration and delight in refusing payouts when they discover a car is deliberately wrongly registered.

Buyer beware.

Nigel

There were some circumstances where the vehicle woud be registered with an age related plate "based on the date of manufacture of the engine" and that resulted in a rash of this sort of thing. DVLA fairly quickly modified the regs and whilst they would still issue "pre '73" age related registrations they would never qualify for historic vehicle status so they still had to pay tax. I'm guessing this one was registered using this method in the period before DVLA cottoned on to what people were doing. If that's the case then there is nothing dodgy going on (apart from DVLA's inconsistency and incompetence but since when is that new).

I'd certainly ask some questions around how it got the historic vehicle status if I was looking to buy it but assuming I got the right answers with suitable documentation I wouldn't have any qualms about buying it.

Iain

• 2 weeks later...

So how old does a vehicle have to be or rather what registration date must a vehicle have to obtain tax free status?

Has to be built and registered pre1973 which is why this can only be tax exempt due to and admin cock up

Guest G.T.2142

Hi guys.

Just joined recently. I'm not familiar with the UK regs regarding historic vehicle status but I know a wee bit more now after having read the above post.

Just to add to the general query a little if I may.

I'm based in the Republic of Ireland and I've started to come around to the idea of 7s kit cars along with my dad who's now retired. In Ireland, as far as I know, the mechanism in which to approve and register kit cars is complex and very expensive. If you build a car you have to pay obscene amounts of Vehicle registration Tax (VRT) on that vehicle. The alternative solution is to buy a second hand one in the UK and bring it to Ireland and then pay VRT on that. This could work out at several grand ontop of what you've already paid for it.

The reason I mention all of this is that our classic vehicle status situation here is much like your old one other than the fact that it's 30 years or older rather than 25. Therefore scenario 1. If I buy a 1984 RH in uk and bring it here I pay VRT and almost €700/year road tax on that car (yes €700...it's based on cc's and that's the cost of a 2.0l engine per year over here...sigh)

However, scenario 2: I buy a 1981 RH (I didn't think they went back that far but I've seen ads for them second had which has me confused a bit). I can bring it to Ireland for €48 and tax it every year for €48! Also, cars of 30 years or more are NCT exempt...NCT is our MOT.

My question (perhaps I should have started a new post now that I read this back) is can I get pre-1981/82 hoods. What determines the registration date of these cars? I gather that the DVLA can give, say, a pre 1973 reg but still not give the car classic status. This doesn't effect me as all I'm concerned with is the registration date for my purposes.

I hope that makes sense. That car you posted seems really nice (good bit above my budget mind) and it satisfies my criteria I think.

Ta.

in answer to your questions its possible to have a correctly registered robin hood with an age-related plate of 1982 (would be one of the first made sierras) with a sierra donor, could be older with other donors - cortinas etc

You get an age related plate by using certain components and enough of them from a single donor. My 2b for example was registered in 2007 but has a H-reg plate (1991) which was the sierra donor's age. Not the same plate as the donor but a newly issued H reg.

whether this would count as a classic in Ireland i have no idea.

if i didn't use enough parts from teh donor it would get a Q - plate.

In the uk classics i believe aren't cars that are over 25 years they are those built before 1972 so if i had a 1973 car i would pay tax the same as any other car.

You are also not allowed black plates with white lettering after 1972, although i have no idea how the Aston DB7 up the road manages not to get pulled over with the ones they have fitted??

HTH

Guest G.T.2142

Hi

I am also fro Ireland. Vrt on 30 year old cars is not €48 it is now €200. I am fro cork whereabouts are you from

Haulie

Sitting in my office on Washington Street as I type :-) Didn't realise the €152 difference. Not the end of the world either mind...all things considered.

I assume the €48/year road tax on 30+ classics hasn't been changed recently?

Anyone know of any 1982 or earlier cars knocking about for sale then. I've checked pistonheads and no joy.

Haulie...you any idea how difficult the revenue guys would be on someone who bought a 1982 uk reg'd car from someone next Jan that had been in Ireland for several years? Would they treat it like a new import? Reason I ask is that, as you probably know, the new VRT and import procedure has changed and you now have to demonstrate that the car was brought into the state within the previous 21 days. They also look for proof of purchase.

I notice a RH for sale in the republic on done deal (http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2455861) which is an unregistered uk plated car. If I bought that, for arguments sake, in Jan and went to the Revenue expecting classic VRT and witout being able to show I bought it in UK and brought it in within the 21 days...what would the do?

Totally off topic now...but I've made up my mind that I want a 1982 or earlier RH so I need to clarify a few points.

Ta

Edited by G.T.2142