What Gearbox

owlman2222

i have been given/bowering (thats what i am telling the other southern love bird :crazy: ) a zetec turbo and wondering what box to go for i dont think the T9 or mt75 are strong enough as its pushing over 350bhp i have heard the t5 will handle the power but has anyone fitting one in a 2b

just like to know if it will fit or other options

many thanks

jon

Guest alfaGTA

What gearbox have you got at the minute? there is one bloke on locostbuilders with a zetec turbo and a type 9 and frequents many trackdays and its not blown to bits yet (madteg is his forum name) mind he's ONLY got 330bhp :sorry:

... and its not blown to bits yet ... mind he's ONLY got 330bhp :sorry:

Obviously his tyres don't grip that well then or else he's spent some serious cash on it. I can't see many type 9s putting up with 330bhp for very long.

Guest iank

When choosing the box for my Zero I went to a number of builders.

Their general advice was the type 9 with semi helical gears and beefed up bearings and shafts was good for 220bhp, with straight cut gears 250bhp.and thats about the limit for the type 9.

What gearbox have you got at the minute? there is one bloke on locostbuilders with a zetec turbo and a type 9 and frequents many trackdays and its not blown to bits yet (madteg is his forum name) mind he's ONLY got 330bhp :sorry:

Did you see the colour of the smoke coming out of his bonnet at blyton? i think he found the weak link elsewhere!

if i remember rightly he did barkstone in 54secs which is fluffing quick ! its a bit of a myth the type 9 only handling 150hp our cars are lighter for a start which reduces load on them if it were me i'd try it and see if it fails deal with it then... if it dosent then a few more ££ in the pocket

hi thanks for the repleys

i do have a t9 box in just wanted to do it propley cos didnt realy want bits of the gearbox stuck in my legs

if he is running a standard t9 box an upgredy 1 should handle it fine as you say dan our cars are alot lighter

Guest mcramsay

Out of interest what car was the zetec turbo fitted to? And is it a standard zetec lump or has it had some upgrades ie forged pocketed pistons ?