Diy Q (Wall Fixing)

baj25

I've always considered myself a pretty good DIY'er, but I've got something I'm not sure how to sort. Curtain rail fell down when wifey opened curtains a few days ago. I had a look, and brackets are fixed to the wall with something like 8x1 3/4" screws into brown plugs and the plugs have pulled out. The wall around the plug is crumbly and when tapped sounds hollow. I can't just re-drill away from original fixings unfortunately. House is only 15 years old with block construction on inside of cavity and concrete lintels. Wall is papered so I really don't want to make too much mess and end up re-papering (big job). Any thoughts on keeping wall fixings in a wall like this? TIA, Bri

agree with shaft, but if it is going into plaster board with nothing behind then you can get fixings like these http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Screws%20&%20Fixings/Spit%20Fixings/Hollow%20Wall%20Anchor%20Cavity%20Fixing/d90/sd430/p82447 which expand in the hollow space.

there are loads of different types of wall fixings on toolstation and screwfix which will work if the dowel doesn't, just search 'wall fixing' etc

hth

Ta for replies, it defo isn't plaster board, but it sounds hollow. I can put a masonry bit in 2" but it goes in like drilling into a weetabix. My next plan was to go old school and try a square dowel, but I fear this might just burst out even more plaster. I was wondering whether some kind of chemical anchor might help beef up the plaster? Bri

Guest arf!!

block built 15 years ago prob defo will be thermalite block good for insulation *bleep* for fixings try glueing the plug back in with some grip fill or carbody filler (it goes of fast)

haha!! how often have you drilled in to a weetabix?

Maybe try Jointers Mate, a poly eurathane?? wood/metal/brick/weetabix glue which foams up in use; squidge into hole followed by a brown plug & if poss a round of masking tape on top to stop the guu running out. If this fails use a long masonry drill, right through the wall then nut & bolt it. Will double as a fixing for the hanging baskets!!!

haahahah :rofl: i love the idea that floins house has numerous bolts sticking out the wall on the outside by the windows to hold the curtain rails on!!! strong enough to lift an engine on maybe :)

Edited by agent_zed

Screw a wooden baton the lenght of the curtain rail with big long screws that reach into something solid the fix the curtain rail to the baton.

Paint the match the rest of the woodwork.

Guest scrabster

i would use dry wall adhesive and force it in,goes off quick and sticks like the stuff that sticks to a blanket.and no need to hammer drill the hole,just use a wood drill bit,or if you are accurate enough,press a new rawl plug in whilst its still wet.hth.

regards jess.