How To Degrease A Cat

Snapperpaul

I'm not asking how to degrease a cat as I did it 2 days ago, however your thoughts on how it should be done would be interesting.

Background.

My cat was mooching about out front generaly nosing at new stuff when a Transit parked next door took his fancy, sitting under was not a problem I just kept an eye in case the driver came out while said cat was under but as he made moves to extend upwards looking like he was about to climb up into the engine bay I decided to retrieve him. Back home I noted the old engine oil on his ear and a huge splodge down his back.

I'm in the utility room near the sink, I have the cat by the scruff and the tub of Swafega is close to hand, seemed like a good idea at the time, big scoop of the green stuff and on to the offending oil patch. Now I knew cats were flexible but WoW a handstand and a pirouette all at the same time.

Presented with the problem of how to remove the now used Swafega mashed into the cats fur I decided against passing him under a running tap and settled on running a flea comb through his fur several times, more difficult than I thought as after the first pass with the comb the cat decided to try for Olympic gold in Gymnastics, for me it became like clay shooting, anticipate general tragectory of cat and angle of attack, position comb and wait for impact.

Well it worked the cat is mainly stain free but I have decided to leave the little oily bit of the ear untill I get my welding gauntlets from the barn.

Edited by Snapperpaul
  • Like 2

Sounds like the time I volunteered to help hold the cats while my sister Jane sprayed them with flea spray.

They said "do you want some gloves"? I said, nah, should be easy.

Well, the first one was not too bad.

then came "Skitty Kitty" who proved much stronger than she looked ! So I know what you mean about Cats and water :)

(I should have gone for the gloves I think ... ! )

Simon.

Years ago, cat fell in water butt while investigating the roof space of an open fronted barn we had. Problem was I had seen loads of mosquito larvae paddling around a few days earlier; can't drain the butt 'cause it's wood & will dry out & leak;so what will kill said mossies? Lack of oxygen (floating in bath moment) put some oil on the water,will still be able to draw cleanish water from tap & mossies can't breath through the oil. Don't want to use new oil though so in goes a couple of pints of old.

Back to the story,cat fell in,didn't touch the sides;right under & as she surfaced I grabbed cat & 2 pints of old Duckhams;straight into the kitchen sink,after loads of Fairy Liquid & warm water our cat was cleanish except ears, eyes,mouth & other orifices. She spent 3 days with the vets being cleaned,had a lovely shiney coat ever after.

reminds me of my childhood cat. A black longhair moggie rescue cat. Was a nervous creature that wouldn't look after itself properly, so we regularly had to comb out matted hair. Took three people. 1 person to comb, 1 person to hold the front legs with builders gloves on to protect from scratches and bites. 1 person to hold the rear legs with rubber gloves because you'ld get piddled on!

post-1135-0-97301100-1346189467_thumb.jpg

Guest mower man

My dad had a cure all for cats 2 barrels of 12 bore at 5 yards [you need to be that far away to avoid spatter ] not very pc but it cured every thing mower man

I prefer an 80's approach to cat cleaning. Mums old top loader to clean followed by a couple of passes through the mangle.

Nigel

Ours were very modern cats; couple of times went for a spin before learning not to sleep in the tumble dryer.