Question for the masses

Guest Tim Norman

Well done  :) Just think of that insurance discount

That would be the discount on the insurance I don't have for my not built Robin Hood would it, Bill? You know, the one you never ever see on the Queen's Highway, because it's not built yet?

<sigh>

I'm sure I'll get round to it eventually.

Chris - nope, don't think anyone's getting at me. Well not this time at least :unsure:

I would never attempt to sponge off the club in the way you're suggesting!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Battery Bill

Jon

We have insured ours and we have yet to see the queens highway :wub: :wub:

I've been embarrassed by the response from some of the South Coast Hoodies

Well get them to pop round and kick your build into gear :D :D

Chin up

Bill

Guest Bob's Babe

:wub: Glad to hear you are giving it another go Jon. ;) I'm sure those Southern Hoodies will sort out a trip or two to keep you busy. Even if you only squeeze one in it would be good. I have two jobs, 3 kids under 10 and Tim to deal with.... he's probably the most demanding patience and time wise :lol: All my Asda hols go on getting either Tim or all of us to the shows up here so we can't find time or space to get down there,b but we have a good time and always go home exhausted...me to the washing and ironing, Tim to the database :wub: But we wouldn't have it any other way. The club and the people in it are great :wub:

SUE

My wife is not particularly interested in cars, and my girls are too young to participate in the build. I have to keep them out of my garage at all times in case something sharp gets embeddedin their titchy feet. Shame...

On the plus side, though, we have just moved house (couple of weeks ago) and the new garage (now properly wired up with armored cable, ring main, lighting circuits, RCDs, MCBs the works - and I did it all myself <ahem>) which is big enough for four Fiesta sized cars (but only three Hoods cause they are so long) is getting sorted out slowly.

No more "acrobatics with the drill" for me. Problem is, what with childcare and the new house (new? its over 150 years old!) there's too much else going on. And I do commute to work four hours a day every day, too.

Am currently fabricating espagnolet locks for the garage doors. Discovered yesterday that I still knew how to weld (well, blobbily, but its not cosmetic so who cares?). And managed to get some sparks from the grinder on the older daughter, even though she was off to one side and wearing goggles. :boohoo:

Busy? Me? Nahh...

Ok, Bill, you're thick. On the other hand, I may not have spelt it correctly, so dictionary.com is none the wiser either.

They are a special kind of lock commonly used on French windows (that'll be the patio doors for all you "Executive style home" owners) in period houses. What you have is a pair of shoot bolts surface mounted on the inside of the room going from the top of the door to the bottom. In the middle, where the handle is, there's a gearbox that makes the bolts engage with the frame when the handle is turned.

The thing about these locks is they are very simple to make up. And since my garage doors are not up & over and I need something secure that will allow me to lock them from both sides of the door but not let a thief open them (so some type of mortice deadlock is also needed), they fit the bill (geddit??) perfectly.

I'll post some pictures if I ever get round to finishing a set. They are easy to make, but a little time consuming. Rewarding, mind, just like building a Hood. And a good opportunity to practice my welding "skills" (Translation : "blob-a-job").

How did we get onto patio door locks? Don't you guys have hoods to build? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

practice my welding "skills" (Translation : "blob-a-job").

In recent weeks whilst building side-screen frames and a hood frame I've mastered the art of bird poo welding. :lol:

Last weekend I also learnt that sewing machine needles won't sew through 1/8th inch mild steel. Funny that! I went to the shop for my third packet of needles of the day but I didn't dare tell the lady behind the counter what had happened to the previous ones. She already thought I was a bit wierd ... a "young man" (her words, not mine) buying elastic and thread and sewing machine needles ... what has the world come to?

Ant

Guest Battery Bill

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice one dave

Ant

Don't you guys have hoods to build?     

Remember if you rush you make silly mistakes :p :p :rolleyes:

Guest chris brown
How did we get from Joining the club to making kinky clothing?

:p Easy really were hoodies (things that go over heads) :lol: :wub:

just been looking at the Westy link that Les mentioned regarding the membership issue. one of the posts on there suggested putting past issues of the club mag in a members only section of the website. there are problems with non electronic formats being available for some earlier mags, but with a scanner and a bit of OCR software it should take too long to convert some old mags. at the moment i've got the software but not the scanner but if anyone thought it was a good idea i'm sure i could round one up and scan some stuff in, and email it to mat?

paul

Guest Bob's Babe

But then we are back to the issue of non-members getting access to club things. The mag may be an older one but they are still a good read (well my and Jim's bits are) and still provide good info. I still feel the mags are a membership privilege, or to attract new bods at shows or if they write asking for details of the club, not open to everyone on the site. Unless Matt has yet more time to get them on there and in a section only for members....who will have all already had one.

:rolleyes: Gosh I think I just confused myself

SUE :wub:

i'd agree the old mags are a good read - and it might be another incentive for non members to consider joining. (not that any more is needed really) afew others have mentioned a members only section, like the one we have for the for sale and wanted ads. i dont know if thats a big job for matt, but like i say i could spend some time scanning and converting the files to help out.

paul