Pinto Sump Clearance

cb750

Robin Hood 3A. What ground clearance are people running with under the Pinto sump and what body ride heights?

I've bit the bullet and what started as "just a new interior and do something with the suspension" has turned into a full rebuild and I mean full! Before I strip the engine and gearbox out (2l pinto) I have measured the clearance from the sump to the floor and find its only 3 inches (75mm), this is no good round here with all the speed bumps. The sump is the alloy type and its bottom is more or less in line with the gearbox. The body ride height is 5 3/4" (145mm) near the tiebar/rollbar mounting position and 7" (180mm) at the rear beam point (this gives 4 1/2" clearance at the rear under the Sierra beam which I think will go over most of our speed bumps).

The engine slopes down to allow the filler cap to clear the bonnet. I will move the filler point to the rear of the cam cover which will allow me to raise the engine about 20mm, this will cause me a problem with the carb to bonnet clearance but that can be sorted (bike carbs here I come!) .

Rob

Hi Paul, what ride height are you running at the front? Where do you bolt the sump guard? I was thinking of putting a rectangular box section between the tie bar mounting points under the body to strengthen their locations (I think you have done this), do you think that would be strong enogh to support the front part of the sump guard?

Rob

i have a steel sump with a thicker bottom... wedge shaped at the front, and tapers slightly to Finish at the bellhousing height....

does not need a guard... its available, but might not fit in a 3A, as was designed to fit in a 2b (its got quite a large side wing on the drivers side)

Guest Mr_Frosty

Hello,

I have a 3A and before I fitted my short sump I had about 2 inch ground clearance. I didn't think that was enough although I never hit anything with it. Did get beached on grass though. (always avoiding scary areas)

Looking at it though the previous owner must have hit something judging by the big dent.

Now have a home made short sump with a bit of a side wing and have about 4 inch ground clearance. Still never hit anything and the gearbox bell housing is now the lowest part.

This is a really good guide for making one...

http://nw.rhocar.org/sump.htm

It's not mine but easy to follow.

Dave R, thanks for the offer but my 3A is quite tight along the sides of the engine so I think for the moment that I will stick with the alloy sump, raise the engine and also take the nosecone off and check the suspension settings. Then I might have to PM you!

Mr_Ftrosty - 2" ground clearance!!! that would scare me!!! I think I should be able to get about 4 " clearance fairly easily and judging from your experiences I should then be OK (I hope). Thanks for the link.

If the sump is no lower than the bellhousing then there's no point shortening it further. You can raise the engine mounts which increases ground clearance (say an inch) and you can raise the front suspension half an inch. That gives 6.25 front ride height and 7 rear with a sump clearance of 4.5 inches. If that's not enough I suggest you buy a range rover!

I don't understand filling the marginal space below a sump with a guard on anything other than a rally car.

Nigel

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to take the nosecone off either today or tomorrow to get at the front suspension and wiring so will see what the coil adjustment looks like. I think spacers will fix the engine position. I have a feeling that the coils (120lb) are wound right down as the TCAs are pointing upwards at the wheel end and give the impression that the suspension has sagged. Must remember to check the camber and everything else afterwards!

I don't understand filling the marginal space below a sump with a guard on anything other than a rally car.

Nigel

Guard plate under the unmodified sump on our CVH acts as a very good sacrificial plate,has taken several heavy scrapes that would probably have cut through the sump.