Help By A Newbie,power Upgrade Options?

Guest Rallyreason

Guest Rallyreason

Just purchased my first kitcar. A GBS Zero with 1.6 pinto and ZX6R carbs etc. Was told this was pulling 117HP at Rear wheels!(I have a print out stating 117hp)

(Was a passenger during purchase test drive in wet conditions only)

Took it for its first blast today. Weather cold, roads a little damp in places. I was expecting the ride of my life. here How dissapointed i was. There is NO chance that the engine is producing what i was told. Contacted the previous owner. ( out come still to be confirmed).

The next question i have, which i am sure has been asked previously, is which way now?

What are my options to get this kit feel like it is alive?

Like everyone, i can only afford so much. Therefore any advice to help me move forward is very appriciated.

PS. Apart from the dissapointing power it was a blast to drive.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quickest power upgrade would be to ditch the 1.6 and drop a 2.0ltr pinto in. There is lots of power to be had from the 2ltr without spending a fortune! 150+ bhp ain't that costly from a 2ltr.

Next up from that would be a 2ltr zetec but then your budget will need to go up as well.

Personal opinion would be not to bother spending money on the 1.6

there is only a couple of engines that the zero deserves and that is a zetec on carbs or throttle bodies or an ST like mines the car goes like *bleep* of a shovel and handles like its on rails

2.0L out of the box will give you 25% more

Get one with an injection head put a thinner gasket on and a better cam and you should see 130bhp for effectively the price of a cam kit, that will be swift. Now you'll have 65% more than a standard 1.6

Getting anymore out of a Pinto needs bigger valves a more radical cam and some serious setting up, probably 160 to 170bhp being the limit for a home build

Guest mower man

Where the 117 my little ponies :rofl: ?117 on the deck is 140+at the crank which is 2 l country ,depending on budget a2.0/2.1with the mods mentioned or Zetec /dura tech the latter being moderatly expensive my ops only mower man

Guest airevalley

I've just bought a 2b , has a 2.1 pinto , with a high lift cam in and a re-jetted webber . I have a print out that rekons 127 bhp .( allegedly ) .

sounds a bit high to me but no idea if thats at flywheel or wheels ,

unfortunatly it aint anywhere near the road yet so cant tell you if its quick enough or not . But I will do one day ( hopefully)

:)

Guest Tim Norman

Horsepower numbers are for the pub. Its how it handes that counts. Obviously if it handles and stops well then more horses and torgues are always a welcome addition. :-)

Guest Rallyreason

Thanks for all your replies.

I gathered a 2L pinto would be the easiest upgrade.

The Duratec/Zetec looks the most interesting.

Are their any other choices? What about the Toyota 4AGE or K series?

If i am going to go to the trouble of swapping engines, i might as well go the whole way and do it only once? Unless anyone has a sorted pinto going cheap :)

If any one has done any of the above upgrades, i would be very gratefull to hear about your experiences and wheather it was worth the hassle/cost?

Guest Rallyreason

CMA- Skill shouldn't be a issue.Spent first 10 years of my working life as a trained motor technician. However i have been away from the trade for over 13 years, so my knowledge is dated.

I have always been a fan of light weight high revving engines rather than the heavier torquier engines.

Do you have any idea when the next meet is?