Help By A Newbie,power Upgrade Options?

Guest Rallyreason

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zoomzoom

I changed from a 2.0 pinto to a 2.0 Zetec blacktop in my zero, not hard to do and all in cost just under £950.

Apart from the engine I had to change over to injection so needed ecu,pump,wiring loom,inlet and throttle body's

Hardest part was getting the alternator to fit without spending mega bucks.

Power went up about 45% to about 165 bhp but I am now looking to upgrade again as I now have the chassis sorted and feel I have more grip than power......

Guest zoomzoom

Hi first removed the pinto,I left the gearbox in place ( type 9).the Zetec came with a 1.8 flywheel with a mondeo pressure plate and a pinto friction plate so I just had to fit a spigot bush to the end of the crank shaft. Also got a new sandwich plate from retro ford to go between the engine and gearbox. The release bearing was a Quinton Hazel part from a Capri and is a little longer than the pinto part so takes up the slack in the realise arm.

Popped the black top in with new engine mounts fron GBS.

I fitted a swirl pot to the boot and reused the low pressure pump to feed it and fitted a new high pressure also in the boot. This feeds a st170 manifold with updated injectors on a ford pressure rail.

I used throttle bodies from a BMW k1200 bike and made my own throttle cable from some push bike brake cables from halfords

The exhaust manifold was with the engine when I bought it and I reused the old exhaust box that was fitted to the pinto.

I made my own loom to connect it to the mega squirt ecu.

The sump is a ERA part from Tiger racing and I needed a new slim starter motor ( LRS707 I think)

Reused the small alternator from the old engine just had to make up some mountings for it and bought a thermostat housing and water rail from retro ford.

That it I think, all the above took about 2 hours to do............

Guest Rallyreason

I am guessing that the zetec was from a kit car?

I didnt think that you would have to alter the gearbox/engine for correct fitment. Is this because it is a type 9? Is a MT75 the same?

How does it compare to the previous set up? Was it worth it?

Guest zoomzoom

I got the engine from another member on here, he was going to use it but had a change of direction and went for a vauxhall engine I think.

The mt75 will fit, I don't know about clutches etc for this as I have never used one.

The pinto had a lot of grunt but the Zetec is much better, more power and smoother.

A 2.0 lt Zetec with injection and proper mapping should give you 160 to 170 BHP

THT

Marcus

Oh Mick I did take a lunch break as well.......

I am guessing that the zetec was from a kit car?

I didnt think that you would have to alter the gearbox/engine for correct fitment. Is this because it is a type 9? Is a MT75 the same?

How does it compare to the previous set up? Was it worth it?

Zetec was never used in a vehicle with "traditional" layout, only transverse.

So

use clutch you get with engine (if new one from supplied by GBS)

insert spigot bush into end of crank

if type 9 change release arm pivot pin, cut of inertia starter molding on bell housing. if MT75 change pivot pin, 5mm trim on bell housing

fit shortened sum, a number avalible, trim bell housing to same level. if using original engine sump, mod alloy part to allow space for starter, raise suspention height. (a lot) think someone does a trimmed metal bit.

stick it in the car

throttles or plenham, ECU and wiring, fuel pump, cooling system, decent exhaust

176bhp

simples :unsure:

Edited by knights_templar

Guest Rallyreason

Hi Knights - thanks for the information. The more the info the better.

Going to have a go in a Zero with a zetec to compare. I can then decide if this is the way for me to go.

Has anyone done K series? There are loads for sale.

How about any other options for engines? Rx8? Just throwing a few wild cards out there.

Hi Knights - thanks for the information. The more the info the better.

Going to have a go in a Zero with a zetec to compare. I can then decide if this is the way for me to go.

Has anyone done K series? There are loads for sale.

How about any other options for engines? Rx8? Just throwing a few wild cards out there.

rx 8 BIG no look into repair costs on them bad boys and the electronics involved in making them run, mpg is worse than a 6.2Lv8... k series is old hat and have well know head gasket problems..