Wheel Bearing Issue?

Jez Morton

Hi all,

Having an issue with replacing a rear wheel bearing, did rhs ok all torques up fine no play. Came to to do lhs which has left hand thread, torque wrench wouldn't click I didn't know they only work one way. Anyhow I flipped the head of the torque wrench so drive is out the other side and retorqued the bearing and there is play in the bearing. I torqued a bit higher but still has play, now I'm thinking I could have initially over tightened the bearing and stuffed it. Its almost as if its bottoming out when I tighten it, what do you guys think.

Cheers

Jez

Guest mcramsay

Can't see you damaging the bearing in any way by going a bit tighter, you would have to seriously go to tight to cause any sort of damage, I expect the bearing would be seized if you had gone to tight, rather than loose.

• 3 weeks later...

Well guys got a replacement bearing and fitted it still the same loose wheel? Took it to a local prop place for them to have look and was told it's all okay they put in their press at the usual 5 tonnes and there was play, they ramped it up to 15 and it seemed to move and was okay back a 5 tonnes. Anyhow got it back on the car and wheel on and still has play in the bearing? Anyhow no one seemed to have any clue what the issue is, everything's in perfect condition on the car so I thought I'd try and get a different brand of bearing. Stripped all down again and fitted new bearing and it fits perfect, so just beware there appears to be a bad batch of bearings out there branded First Line. The right bearing from First line seems ok but do I change it or leave it on?

When you buy from a well established motor factors you assume some sort of quality. Lesson learnt I guess.

I agree, when you're not in the trade it's hard to know with things like wheel bearings what's budget-rubbish or good quality.

Sounds like this has been a bit of a head scratcher but I'm glad you've got it sorted!

Down side is, the garage trade is quiet like most trades, in turn the motor factors are doing everything to win the deal, some garages go for the cheapest so the factors buy in the cheapest bits they can get. We used to use GSF and eurocarparts quite often until the products they were selling were becoming more and more sub standard.

Having the same problem on my series 3a today. Past its MOT last year with a caution on play in front wheel bearing/ top ball joint. Have fitted a new wheel bearing (fast line, motor parts direct), still felt some play while in bench vice. Changed the top transit drag link aswell. Just got it bolted back together and the play feels the same as before I started. I do have a new sierra lower arm in stock to try? Now I can feel some play in osf, about the same as last MOT in near side front. Going to get a big bar and check for play in lower ball joint. Internet searches say wheel bearing play is a known prob on sierra? Outer races are fully seated, if not it would reduce play. torqued up with 3/4 inch breaker bar as tight as poss. Please comment. May take the hub off again and run it by my MOT tester on Monday. Bearing play can't be adjusted, set by bearing tolerances. Would a bearing kit from Ford be better? Or just the same in a different box at twice the price? Sorry for rambling

there was a chap on locostbuilders that had something very similar and fixed it....

link here

"The inner bearing was installed with the taper facing the wrong way so tightening the nut did not make the assembly tight."

I don't know if this ties in with your problem? I can't visualise it as i've never taken one apart.