Jump to content

How To Change Engine Size On My Log Book


richardm6994
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 7/9/2022 at 7:44 AM, Jonty Wild said:

What would worry me is if you tell them it has changed and they ask questions and want documentation what might be the implications if you don't supply it?

I would think they refuse to issue the V5 and ask for a vehicle inspection. But in this circumstance, I'd just bail out and say "forget it, I'll put the old engine back in" and do exactly that, reverting it to the as-is V5 records.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think you are probably right, but I guess they could ask for proof in which case I would be equally stuffed to prove that. They are probably just to busy / disinterested either way. They should be really because it makes no difference to the MOT test and it is correctly insured, but I will probably wait until I can definitely find some suitable documentation about 205 blocks being 2 lire or find a mechanic who is confident enough to give me a brief report confirming 2 litre.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the old tax categories were split at 1600cc weren't they? Prior to them being emissions based... <heads off to look>

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables/rates-for-cars-and-light-goods-vehicles-registered-before-1-march-2001

Assuming it's pre-2001, the cut-off is 1549cc and since the 1600 pinto was actually 1593cc you're buggered anyway, so you'd be paying the higher rate now of £295.... right? So going up to 2000 makes sod all difference as far as the DVLA are concerned.

So if you're currently paying £180 then yeah, something to worry about, but I'm guessing that's not the case.

Some evidencing of Pinto engines here (but I'm sure you've seen it) :

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/document.asp?DocID=TECH00149

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for trying. The car is post 2001 and I am paying the higher rate and I don't think that that would change.

What you don't want to do is insure it as a 1600cc have an accident and for the insurance not to pay out because it is a 2000.

If I ever have to have the head off the measurements would prove the engine, but I am rather hoping that wont be necessary.  I am sure that somewhere are records that confirm the 20 and 205 block are 2.0l. I just need to find them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jonty Wild said:

What you don't want to do is insure it as a 1600cc have an accident and for the insurance not to pay out because it is a 2000. 

I think you may be over-estimating an insurance companies 'due diligence'. If you haven't been able to work out if it is a 2 litre or not, do you think an insurance company is going to spend time on it? 

A friend of my sons bought an old Golf GTi, added bigger wheels and a huge wing as well as had it chipped and de-catted and whacked a sports exhaust on it (kids these days, hey?) . The inevitable happened, he had an accident. They wrote the car off immediately based just on the claim form and after a few backwards and forwards haggling, they gave him the amount of money he bought the car for (although he lost a fortune on all the mods) - I don't think they even personally went to look at the car and they could have used any one of those mods to invalidate his policy. But because the amount to settle was so little (£3k), they didn't even try. 

So I wouldn't stress over it myself... 

Edited by nelmo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, nelmo said:

I think you may be over-estimating an insurance companies 'due diligence'. If you haven't been able to work out if it is a 2 litre or not, do you think an insurance company is going to spend time on it? 

A friend of my sons bought an old Golf GTi, added bigger wheels and a huge wing as well as had it chipped and de-catted and whacked a sports exhaust on it (kids these days, hey?) . The inevitable happened, he had an accident. They wrote the car off immediately based just on the claim form and after a few backwards and forwards haggling, they gave him the amount of money he bought the car for (although he lost a fortune on all the mods) - I don't think they even personally went to look at the car and they could have used any one of those mods to invalidate his policy. But because the amount to settle was so little (£3k), they didn't even try. 

So I wouldn't stress over it myself... 

You are, of course, almost certainly right, but it depends whether it is worth the 1%(?) chance of being saddled with an accident bill. Insurance companies will wriggle out of paying if they can and the higher the payout the more chance they will look more carefully. For me it shouldn't really matter as I have insured it as a 2l, and for the A-Plan specialist insurance that I took out the engine size made no difference to the cost anyway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

So, sorry to resurrect this thread again guys, but.....

I'm concerned about the change to ST170 engine from a 1300 in my Mk2 Escort estate, and wondered if it might be wise to try and get it MOTd first, and then register the engine change afterwards. Will the inspector reject it for having the wrong engine, or merely test it as normal?

Looking on various forums and checking registration numbers of pictured vehicles, it appears that a number of people are actually running classic fords with MOTs that are still registered with the original lower capacity engine, so that suggests that it is possible. I'm intending to get mine correctly registered (don't want to risk driving it around with the wrong engine and having the insurance company play up) when it's finished, but I just want to try and make it as painless as possible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Duncan Gafanha said:

So, sorry to resurrect this thread again guys, but.....

I'm concerned about the change to ST170 engine from a 1300 in my Mk2 Escort estate, and wondered if it might be wise to try and get it MOTd first, and then register the engine change afterwards. Will the inspector reject it for having the wrong engine, or merely test it as normal?

Looking on various forums and checking registration numbers of pictured vehicles, it appears that a number of people are actually running classic fords with MOTs that are still registered with the original lower capacity engine, so that suggests that it is possible. I'm intending to get mine correctly registered (don't want to risk driving it around with the wrong engine and having the insurance company play up) when it's finished, but I just want to try and make it as painless as possible.

That is more or less my concern. It should be easy to make the change provided you can evidence the change. The DVLA website gives details, which I believe means evidenced by an engineer's report or on the garage's headed paper. My problem is that, although everyone seems to know that a 205 block is a 2 litre no-one is prepared to say so "officially'. I don't want to open a can of worms. However, I have insured it correctly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I tried to change my engine size got a letter back saying I need proof of purchase of the engine to prove it wasn't stolen and a engineers report saying it been installed safely. So thought stuff it and didn't both to change it. It's insured correctly and never had any issues since

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...