Emerald Rolling Road - Result

Guest iank

Took my Zero to Emerald today to put on their rolling road and get remapped.

Engine is a stock Zetec Blacktop with AT throttle bodies. Got all 3 maps redone ( Power, day to day road and emissions), fuel pressure had to be increased to 3.5bar to feed the injectors.

Peak power on the day to day is 173.7bhp @ 6700, but the best bit is the consumption. On the drive down I was getting the 21 n a bit MPG that I've been getting since I started monitoring it. On the drive back its 31 n a bit MPG!!

Power map didn't produce much more - only 174.9BHP @6900

Its a different car to drive now - well worth the day out.

Ian

@Blyton - Yes

Stock injectors - yes

Yes - it was running the GBS maps before hand - just power and emissions - the power map isn't that different it was 174 before - what is different is I now have proper day to day map.

Car does feel better and lots less popping n banging

Emerald have a standard mapping price of £390 for which they will do 3 maps - Took them just over 4 hours.

For me it was worth the experience - bit weird seeing the car doing 120MPH while its standing still :)

I'm not all that sure they're really needed; I'm guessing, but maybe on the day-to-day map they turn off overrun fueling, or at least raise the target AFR on the overrun to help consumption a bit, at the expense of response? Just thinking theory myself, never actually bothered trying it (I just run the one map, but it's not like the car gets used that much it warrants an 'economy' map!)

I think in reality there isn't much difference, and to be fair the guys at Emerald also said I wouldn't notice much difference.

The term 'day to day' is really coming from where I started the conversation - and probably showing my lack of knowledge ...

I started from the point of view of having a map in place that I knew was rich and I knew what MPG I was getting had to be improved on. I also knew the emissions map was in place - but wasn't running with that . Having the Emerald means I can have 3 maps and switch between them.

So my approach was 'give me a third map that was optimised toward MPG' in the belief that I must be able to get a better MPG and stop the embarrassing (and frankly annoying ) popping and banging when the unburnt fuel detonates in the exhaust.

It does seem like it was subtleties that were the difference - silly things like lowering the tick over to 800. I also noticed the engine braking effect when taking my foot of the accelerator is more pronounced than it was.

I have to admit I was surprised to see such a big difference in MPG. At some point I'll do a full tank on the 'power' map to see if its a similar uplift there too, i suspect there will be.

But in short - whatever I call it - I've now got an engine that seems to be burning less, less embarrassing to live with and still responsive. For that I say thanks to the guys at Emerald.

I think in reality there isn't much difference, and to be fair the guys at Emerald also said I wouldn't notice much difference.

The term 'day to day' is really coming from where I started the conversation - and probably showing my lack of knowledge ...

I started from the point of view of having a map in place that I knew was rich and I knew what MPG I was getting had to be improved on. I also knew the emissions map was in place - but wasn't running with that . Having the Emerald means I can have 3 maps and switch between them.

So my approach was 'give me a third map that was optimised toward MPG' in the belief that I must be able to get a better MPG and stop the embarrassing (and frankly annoying ) popping and banging when the unburnt fuel detonates in the exhaust.

It does seem like it was subtleties that were the difference - silly things like lowering the tick over to 800. I also noticed the engine braking effect when taking my foot of the accelerator is more pronounced than it was.

I have to admit I was surprised to see such a big difference in MPG. At some point I'll do a full tank on the 'power' map to see if its a similar uplift there too, i suspect there will be.

But in short - whatever I call it - I've now got an engine that seems to be burning less, less embarrassing to live with and still responsive. For that I say thanks to the guys at Emerald.

Completely agree. The most relevant thing after a rolling road session is how it feels afterwards, and whether you're happy with it. You can chase big numbers but that might not ultimately satisfy you, whereas a nice driveable, responsive engine might not make the big numbers and impress people at the pub, but will have it where it matters - on the road ;)

I remember taking mine to Emerald years ago to have the map improved. I'd had it done at a different rolling road and it was OK but not very drive able or flexible. I only gained 5 bhp at Emerald but the car was a totally different animal afterwards and never looked back, was a great day out and a nice run over to Norfolk.