No Spark

Jon Green

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix a lack of spark...

I've got the standard pinto ignition system.

I'm not very good on electrics / ignition. So far I have established that there's no spark and 12 v to the + side of the coil.

What should I check for next?

Thanks

Numpty.

I think I've found my coil to be at fault...

I took the HT lead out of it and put a spark plug lead with plug into it.

Grounded the plug.

Removed the negative side wires from the coil and replaced them with a wire which I tapped the negative terminal on the battery with. NO spark.

Ignition was turned on and there was 12v on the positive side of the coil.

Anyone able to confirm or call me an idiot for believing the coil to be at fault now?

Unfortunately I've not got a spare to test with.

Thanks,

Jon

The picture of an inductive ignition set that you have linked to does not have points or a condenser. You are correct in thinking that if you have a 12v supply to coil pos(15) and repeatedly dab the coil neg(1) to earth you should get repeated sparks. Don't hold the coil while doing this!

Nigel

No points arf, I used to but changed to the setup that big jim recommended.

Think i'll try and get another coil from the scrapy tomorrow and swap it. Fingers crosses it'll bust into life again.

Thanks for all the help chaps.

Guest JammyJim

Had same problem on mine last year turned out to be the amplifier, at time new someone who raced stock cars so managed to get a spare set up to try.

JJ

Guest peter2b2002

if it doesn't have points then it could be the hall effect sensor (it will have 3 wires to a small plug on the side of the dizy) ,to check the coil all i do is take the lead out of the dizy and point to an earth point and spin the engine on the key to see if it sparks, if it does check the dizy cap , then the spark leads, i found years ago going into a dark garage i could see the leads glowing with the engine running

peter2b