Sva Compatible Track Rod Covers?

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

I called in at Homebase today :( and saw some plastic covers for tarting up central heating pipes - the bit between the valves and the floor. They are bit difficult to describe :wacko: , but are kind of coiled up on themselves. You cut them to size, unravel the coil slip them over your central heating pipe and they recoil around the pipe.

The thing is they have some smart looking chrome effect ones and it got me thinking about the threaded bar on the track rods failing the SVS radius test, and the differing opinions of testers and builders on how they should be covered.

Slip one of the the Homebase pipe thingies over and you ain't got sharp threads anymore - it won't fall off because it's coiled round on itself, so it's permanent but at the same time it can easily be removed without destroying it, if and when you need to alter, the tracking.

Dunno! Just a thought. What do others think? :huh: :huh:

Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

Nope :( . I don't think it will go over the nuts but there seems to be other solutions to that, amalgamating tape, Tifosi nutcovers etc

Guest peter2b2002

to cover my track rod ends i used some handle bar covers from halfords bike section, slit them down one side put them arround the track rod and super glued them back together again, the sva man did pull one apart to see what was under neath but said they were ok,

cheers pete2b

Guest paul thompson

I covered mine with heater ducting from one of the shows, I found a short bit of it in a scrap bin for £1, cut in half and it's a perfect fit. It is a soft PVC type material with a coil of wire inside which keeps it stretched out, but lets you compress it to almost nothing to get access to the nuts for tracking adjustment etc. It also covers the nuts and the extending bar in the middle!

i was considering self amaginnating tape..... (spelling!)

dunno if anyone else has sva experience with this ?

just noticed its already been mentioned.....

• 3 weeks later...
Guest peter2b2002

I used self amalgamating tape to cover the nuts on the front coil overs and top nut on the dummy strut got through the sva ok,

pete2b

I saw on the tifoso stand, a new product for covering the track rod bar and nuts.

IT looked very like the covers that are used on industrial wireing,(like they use on fire alarm smash glass boxs and panels) its basically a tube which reduces in dia were its designed to go over electric wire and onto the fitting on the socket or box. he wanted £3,50 a set.

looked like a good idea.

If you are unsure what i mean next time you see an emergency exit, sign look how the wire is covered where it enters the sign.

HTH

Mitch

Guest bugsy

As always i am too late. :blink:

I bought a set of Track Rod End covers from Tifosi a week or two ago. they are very good but as you say its nothing that a bit of heat shrink couldnt do.

I also bought a bag of mixed Nut/thread covers which have found to be really usefull.

I have about 100 left, which can be sent to the next SVA victim when i get through mine! also i will be flogging my Mountny steering wheel pad, nice though it is i feel it looks better without :p

Cheers

Bugsy