Fuel Level Sender

cb750

I will be using Smiths telemetrix gauges. Does anyone know if the fuel gauge will work with the sierra sender? I have the early sender, I believe the later senders have a different resistance range which may work with the smiths gauge does anyone know if this is so. GBS sell a sierra sender does anyone have the resistance values for this? ( I will try gbs tomorrow )

• Like 1

Why not just use the smiths sender you know it's correct and is adjusted for the depth of your tank. The sender is a different size to the Ford unit but the hole is smaller and I think seals better.

Someone may want to confirm this as I don't have a sender to measure.

Later Ford sender is 16 ohms empty, 156 ohms full.(according to the internet?)

Telemetrix is 10 ohms empty, 180 ohms full.

Close but not having tried it I could not confirm if it ok to use Ford.

Jez

With those values Jes, the mis-match should be; gauge shows empty when tank not quite so, & gauge shows full when not quite full. If the O.P has the same problems I had sealing the sender in the tank I would leave well alone & live with the slight error.

The reason I was going to use a sierra sender is that the sierra one has the fuel take off pipe in it, the smiths one doesn't and I didn't want to drill the tank and fit a gland to take a pipe. If your values are correct I could live with the error. I know there are problems sealing the tank sender and it looks like I will have problems sealing the filler tube. It's a RH series 3 and the filler simply pushes into a ford grommet set in the tank. This may have been ok with the ford production tank but the RH tank material isn't thick enough to match the groove in the grommet.

Hi, did take mine apart to swap the wire but there was no solder pad on the other end! According to the microfiche that I have, there are 3 versions of the early sender and it looks like I have one I can't modify. Been in touch with gbs kitspares and they can't help with the values on the senders that they sell

The tank's off and the sender is out. The values I'm getting are 20 ohm full, 260 empty and 65 ohms 1/2 full.

Options are: buy the matching smiths sender and make an adaptor plate for it plus drill the tank and fix a new fuel take off pipe.

Or, buy a mismatcher and use the original sender.

Or buy a new sierra sender from gbs which will fit the original fixings and provide an integral fuel pipe and hope it's the later version giving nearly the correct resistance values. If this option did not work then buy a mismatcher unit to get it to work.

If you're buying new get the supplier to give the specification. What's the point of a new sender if it won't do the job. Seems like your old one is back to front, are you sure it's impossible to reverse the resistance track, either mechanically or electrically.