Air Filter For Pinto With Weber32/36

Simon Parish

Guys looking for suggestions for a new air filter for the 2B.

At present it has a pipercross KK300 fitted but its not got much room to get air in as its tight to the bonnet.

I dont mind cutting the bonnet, not that I have the tools to do it, but I will give it a go.

Im looking at a K&N 56-9107 to get more air into the carb.

The car was rolling roaded today and it wasnt good. Initial run gave only 74BHP :(

After a bit of tinkering this was taken upto 93BHP. but there were fueling issues as the fuel pump seems to be on the way out. New one ordered and should arrive this week. Then it will be back for another rolling road session!

Want to sort out the air filter too so that it can be setup for how it will be for a while or at least until I get bored and find some bike carbs :)

Any help guidance is greatly appreciated

Simon

Can you make your own plenum? The baseplate in the links Dan posted are a starting point. Get a slab of ally 6mm or so thick and carve one. Make the entry lip rounded to help flow. Then make your own top to it with a snout off one side with a common circumference, say 80 mm(diameter 25.5mm if round). Then you can buy a length of 80mm ducting and a cone filter to stick in the nose cone or behind a scoop. Here's one I made (quite a lot) earlier for bike throttlebodies.

Nigel

post-21-0-67334600-1381702941_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys

I was thinking of taking the easy route and getting the K&N Filter that sits straight on top of the carb and cutting the bonnet to suit, Now you have given me even more things to think about. This tinkering isn't as easy and straight forward as i thought, especially for an IT geek who has no real mechanical knowledge

DanE Your suggestion has given some food for thought!

Simon

• Like 1

If i Remember correctly you have an alligator bonnet. Don't go cutting holes that you might later regret (when you get bike carbs) or you might end up with an even bigger job replacing your holey bonnet.

Give us a bell if you need any help/tools.

Andrew

• Like 1

I have been giving this a lot of thought and I dont think there is enough clearence under the bonnet to fit a plenum - will have to get the tape measure out and see. I know the pipercross filter that is 45mm high nearly touches the bonnet and the plenums are 65mm high :nea:

Guest alfaGTA

I had an ITG filter on my pinto indy but had a hole in the bonnet, if you make your own back plate you may be able to drop the filter down another 5-10mm to get some clearance as you'll not want to restrict air flow too much by closing the bonnet on top of the filter.

The smallest filter has an overall height of 50mm and can flow enough air for 140ponies.

http://www.competitionsupplies.com/air-filters-and-ram-pipes/bolt-on-filters-for-carburettors/itg-jc20-single-carburettor-air-filter-element

Guest mower man

I run a 38dgas on my pinto in an s7 clearance is tight but if to fiddle with the top plate fixings ,turning them over and using c/sunk fixings in stead of dome nuts it clears . A more radical approach is to have 1/4 " milled of the top face of the manifold, :crazy: mowerman

I made a plenum for my down draft Weber carburetor from the lid off a Toyota air filter box. This is also on a pinto with very little space to play around with. The air box was from a later MR2 Mark one - it has the air box in the boot, as opposed to the earlier MR2 which has the air box in the engine compartment. Anyway :-)! This air box lid is just the right size and you can attach an air tube of the required length and a filter of your choice to this. Let me know if you need photos.

• Like 1

I made a plenum for my down draft Weber carburetor from the lid off a Toyota air filter box. This is also on a pinto with very little space to play around with. The air box was from a later MR2 Mark one - it has the air box in the boot, as opposed to the earlier MR2 which has the air box in the engine compartment. Anyway :-)! This air box lid is just the right size and you can attach an air tube of the required length and a filter of your choice to this. Let me know if you need photos.

Please4 could you upload photos, it may well give me a starting point

Thanks

Let me know if this has not worked. Its supposed to be a link to my PhotoBucket account. I've never used it before.

http://s901.photobucket.com/user/gambolgold/library/

Note: The carburetor is not in the centre of the air-box-thing because of the shape of the carburetor would mean it would foul the air-box-thing's oval tube. Perhaps if it were, a filter could fit around it?

Edited by GambolGold
  • Like 1