Fuel Pump Issues

Simon Parish

You have them in the correct order. Dizzy rotates clockwise looking down on it. If that is the view of the cap when standing just to the rear of the left front wheel Ford set No.1 lead to be at the 4 o'clock position but it's possible to set it anywhere if the dizzy has been out. So try the standard setting with No.1 lead bottom right first, No.3 at 8 o'clock, etc.

This sort of shotgun approach uses a lot of cash, may hit the target or may not and will not leave you any the wiser as to what was wrong if it does. You must try to be more systematic. Your test of taking off the fuel hose at the carb and switching on the ignition proved your fuel supply to the carb and if you had done it earlier would have saved you the cost of a new fuel pump. Next in line would be the carb itself. Is it clean inside. Are all the jets open and not clogged. Is the float level properly adjusted and the float not punctured. Is the fuel pressure correct. You may need a pressure regulator to stop flooding. (It may be a rich stumble not a lean one). Are the manifold bolts to carb and cylinder head done up. Gaskets? Airleaks. If all that's correct then the engine should suck in a reasonable mix of air and fuel.

It has to compress it so a check on cam timing and a compression test would be good.

It has to ignite it and at the right time so a spark check and ignition timing check would also be good.

Nigel

Not my engine in pic below.

post-21-0-02497600-1383432744_thumb.jpg

The car was rolling roaded a few weeks ago and during the test the fuel pump was found to be faulty - thats why it was replaced. All the timing etc has benn set up and is correct. After fitting the new fuel pump the issue was still there. I have a pressure gauge that arrived this afternoon, so i will fit that tomorrow to check the pressure to the carb. Will get the plug leads correct on the dizzy tomorrow too and hopefully it will fire up. Then i will check over the other thigs you have suggexted. Thanks for the advice :)

The car was rolling roaded a few weeks ago and during the test the fuel pump was found to be faulty
OK. Fair enough. I also listen to advice given by professionals but experience has taught me to double check to confirm it if possible. Sadly the quality of professionals also varies. Some are excellent, some not so.

Nigel