Soft Brake Pedal

Guest RoborRoss

Guest RoborRoss

A bit odd....

Front callipers needed replacing, which I did.

I bled nearly a litre of fluid through using a gunson pressure bleed. Starting from the nearest bleed point to the furthest. No good, could still press the pedal to the stop. Tried the other way, from the furthest to the nearest. Still the same.

Popped over to DanE's today to try his vac bleed, which after a bit of pumping the pedal while using the vac bleed got a good pedal.

However, after driving home (10 miles max), the pedal was soft again and can easily reach the stop without even getting close to locking up the wheels.

Had a check round and there does not appear to be any fluid leaks from any slave cylinders or unions. Master cylinder does not appear to be leaking either.

Fluid level not going down either.

Non-servo assisted. Any ideas what to look at next?

Ta

Rob

Guest RoborRoss

Bulging hoses?

Don't think so... If that was the case, we would not have got a decent pedal at all. Also, didn't have a soft pedal with the seized calliper.

Like I say, odd!

Probably just a little bubble still remaining which you have dislodged on the way home. Try again, furthest bleed point first. Have had immense problems of this sort with old Landrovers, the pressure or vacuum bleeders do help a lot. I would just expect loads of grief and buy a big container of brake fluid. We even put ratchet straps around the brake shoes so that they wouldn't move during the bleeding operation! Brake bleeding is actually one of those operations in which a small child (eight years old) is useful once they know which pedal is which.

Just because the master cylinder isn't leaking doesn't mean it's working properly. I had to replace mine a month before the IVA test and there were no obvious leaks, it just wouldn't bleed properly, a £10 second hand one from my local garage who banger race sierras and the problem was resolved!

They are handed but can be fitted either side and as Baz has said, bleed nipple at the top. Sounds like you have the left caliper on the right and the right caliper on the left. You could save time and brake fluid by taking one off, holding it nipple up, bleed and refit but it's best to swap them round.

Nigel

sticky piston seals are my favourite - bob the caliper off and put a tiny bit of brake fluid behind the dust seal, push the piston in and refit. That should sort it for now, but watch out for it recurring.

Guest mower man

M/C almost a certainty esp if its ex donor ,what happens is the seals are used to a small area then when you bleed they runpast normal working place and are reformed after which they don't seal properly and soft or even non existant pedal occurs ,I stopped fitting seal kits years ago cos it usual meant pain through this . I amgoing to be shot at for this but guess what ? I dont care !!!! mower man :crazy: :rofl: :acute: