Exhaust Options

lockyer89

I have just ordered one from here, they do boxes for bikes and kits.

http://www.motad.co.uk/notforbikes2.php?prod=Kit+Cars

£250 ish to include, delivery, a front pipe bent to your requirements, mounting bracket and it is re-packable.

So far impressed with the service; I will let you know how it goes.

Guest davidimurray

I've got an 1800 Pinto, 4 to 1 exhaust and a GSXR 1000 K4 bike can on mine. When I put mine on I bought a 'cheap' sound level meter, this claimed 102db at IVA RPM, then i fitted a DB killer in the tail, reduced it to 99db then to be on the safe side I put another db killer just before the silencer - my sound level meter registered it as 96db. When it was tested at the actual IVA, it was 92db so I suspect that with no db killers it would have been around 98db. Now have all the db killers removed and gives a lovely rasp when you hit the throttle but not at all uncomfortable and on the motorway you can barely hear it over the aerodynamic noise. Cost me £25 delivered off ebay, bike had only done 1000miles then converted to a race bike.

In terms of sizing the can, my thoughts were that a GSXR 1000 K4 has a single exhaust and makes upto 164bhp. In theory you need an amount of air with an amount of fuel to produce those horses. Hence regardless of displacement 100hp in a big engine will have nominally the same flow as 100hp in a smaller engine. The smaller bike engine makes its power by revving to 3 times that of the Pinto. Hence the pinto give long wheezes against the bike engines lots of little puffs. Hence by the time all this exhaust gas gets down to the silencer, the net average air flow should be the same. Well in fact as the Pinto is unlikely to make more than 100hp the GSXR can should be more than adequate.

I've had the exact same thoughts and once I'm on the road will be finding a cheap bandit 1200 exhaust to fit to the exmo

Difference between Revs and engine size, will hopefully be around the same capacity flow and back pressure.

At 25 - 30 quid it's worth a punt.

db killers are ok for IVA & track days but long term restrict power and make the engine run rich

You'll find the the plugs will go black quickly.

If you want quiet run a bigger can

Before

6ab2fa5c.jpg

After

ad1d6b3c.jpg

Edited by Snapperpaul

Most Aftermarket bike exhaust cans are 'straight through' so don't provide any additional restriction, I fitted this Harris Can;-

S1050558.jpg

To a Jago, seemed a little 'perkier' and a lot noisier!

S1050562.jpg

S1050564.jpg

Took a bit of fettling with stainless pipe but got there in the end.

S1050560.jpg

I don't think that can will survive a speed bump !!!

My car has always un with motorcycle cans . Mostly from R1s .I have never noticed a restriction.

The 1800 turbo engine has 4 x 450cc pots to 7500revs. The bike had 4 x 248 cc pots to 18000 revs -- so should handle volume etc.

(Easy to change too !! )