For All You St170'ers....

Guest Matt Thorne

Guest Matt Thorne

My point was those people should be being told to buy the right ECU, not to buy the ECU they fancy and splash another £240 on this. As someone else posted about an Omex ECU thats £950 + this unit at £240, thats rather a lot of money when you can buy a quality ECU for half the price that does it all properly, even closed loop, all in one unit!

Could you please show me an ecu under £800 that supports closed loop VVT control on the ST170 engine? I have had a brief search, but was motivated to create this on posters stating that they have looked, and cannot run VVT for under 1k....

I can show you a set of bike carbs or a megasquirt or even an omex 600 with this controller for £500- £800 easily :)

Also remember the retrospective ST170s here, those running with a switch or locked cam right now, that can click this on and gain power....

Matt

OK. Get it.

In most kitcar installations with fixed cam advance fueling/ignition will be controlled by aftermarket ecu, omex/emerald/megasquirt/etc. These will have been mapped for power mostly whereas the ford ecu will have been mapped for power with a major influence of emission regulations making it less than optimal. Have you got comparisons against aftermarket power curves? Have the feeling aftermarket will give more power but the addition of VVT mapping will still give gains

Nigel

Could you please show me an ecu under £800 that supports closed loop VVT control on the ST170 engine? I have had a brief search, but was motivated to create this on posters stating that they have looked, and cannot run VVT for under 1k....

I can show you a set of bike carbs or a megasquirt or even an omex 600 with this controller for £500- £800 easily :)

Also remember the retrospective ST170s here, those running with a switch or locked cam right now, that can click this on and gain power....

Matt

http://tourdeforce.weebly.com/tdf-engine-control.html

Guest Matt Thorne

Paul,

Exactly... I am going to get in touch with Kent Cams and see if we can get a better cam profile with VVT support such that we can then tune it :)

Matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Matt Thorne

The results are in...

We carried out the testing on this Mk1, fitted with 6R carbs and a NODIZ for ignition management...

1376402_823903044291590_1455057523_n.jpg

The below are the AMAZING RESULTS. The RED is the normal switch on at 1500rpm Method, the BLUE line is running the VVTPro with a factory VVT advance curve. We never did any mapping, just plugged it in..

10ft/lbs gain for the majority of the graph, with even more gains at the end, and 21bhp overall power gain...

1977075_823902964291598_310830298_n.jpg

With finer PID tuning and more mapping we expect even more gains, but I think out of the box, that'll do donkey, that'll do!

Guest tiggertom

I have st 170 on megajolt and zx6 carbs VVT switched at 2200 doing 149 at wheels which does not rev out with any real power where i see from graph the VVT pro gains power after my set up is done.which is what is needed.i will watch with interest. On the up side DVLA returned V5 with new engine number after 3 month of messing about 8)

Guest Matt Thorne

Waterboy,

Would love to see the gains on yours with the system...

Some muppets on other forums have pointed out the 'low power'.... They cant read the part of the graph that shows the improvement all the way along the curve... you cant teach it though right? :)

Guest Matt Thorne

Whiz, yep I got 197 on one too with the switch on.

I reckon you would easily see over 200 with this system and a bit more fuel aded to your map to compensate :)

The drop in torque at the top you are currently getting (trust me you are!) will be gone :)

Matt

I'm getting lost I'm afraid. Your graph shows an ST170 engine with standard ford cam timings running on your VVTPro and it is giving 170 bhp. You don't say what the Nodiz map is but I would guess standard factory. As far as I can see you have replicated fords figures showing that your kit can do the job. But didn't you already say it could. Nice to be able to show it can but not earth shaking. To compare this with the crude single switch point cam timing changeover when we know the cam timing is going to be wrong all the time only proves the cam timing is wrong all the time. Nice to know the bike carbs can manage fuelling as well as the factory injection, if a bit surprising.

VVT is I'm sure the right way to go. Your kit works. Get some of the CatCams VVT profiles and show some more meaningful gains.

Nigel