I Hate Rads

biksz

what you mean by bad earthed engine? as I only got one big earth strap on mine to battery.not tried it driving yet as not tax so not sure what it will do with air flow, will have to drive it down the road at night and see what it does.the other thing is where is your fan switch mine is in the rad and thinking its in the wrong placeand should be where the thermostat is?

Guest Tim Norman

You can never have enough earth straps. I always have at least two. One by the starter motor and another on the other side of the engine.

If your sender is in the hose rather than the block will it too need to be earthed?

my gauge read all over the place. but I found I had no large earth to the engine . once fitted my gauge read more accurately ,ideally you need one from battery to engine and one to the chassis minimum.

maybe the engine temp is fine but its this issue. mine was

Guest mcramsay

Where is your sender picking up the temp from? I can't help but think if the engine was overheating the thermostat would be open flat out, the rad would be roasting and your fan would be cutting in constantly.

I really think the gauge is reading hot ,but the engine isn't at that temp.

does it boil over ?? is it steaming. ??

why isn't the fan cutting in if its temp is lower than 100.??

I would find someway of testing the temp of the water. its how I found out mine wasn't as it should be

i checked the temp sensor in the boiling kettle and seems to be fine. the temp sensor is where the standard pinto one was just near the inlet manifold. i fitted a t peice to see if it was airlock but seems no air in system i am getting frustrated with it now and ready to go buy a big hammer lol.i am running out of ideas now.

Guest mcramsay

If the sensor is accurate, and the engine really is 100 degrees, and the rad is cold, then you have no flow through the radiator, or the thermostat is not opening. L

Guest Ian Maycock

Have you checked your ignition timing? Too much advance on the timing will make the engine run too hot. Sounds like you've tried everything else.

Er, retarded (not advanced) ignition or weak mixture can lead to overheating. You need to check timing and mixture.

to get to a 100c it takes about 10 minutes and the rad top is luke warm and the bottom is cold seems to pressurise up rather quck.
At least that confirms circulation is going in the correct direction. The water pump sucks on the bottom hose and the warm up bypass hose and pushes the water into the front of the block. Most then flows to the back of the block, up into the head, forward through the head and out into bypass hose and top rad hose (once the stat opens). The thermostat should be fully open when the temp gauge reads a genuine 100C. You did fit it with the stat bulb sticking into the head?

You comment when watching closely the engine temp reaches 100C while the top of the rad is cool and the bottom cold suggests flow through the rad is slow/less than it should be. This needs investigation. Could be a partial obstruction in a hose or the rad. Physical or air or excessive bypass flow. You can eliminate the last by partially clamping the bypass hose with a mole wrench.

The last thing of note you say is that the is a lot of expansion in the warm up phase. That suggests air in the system.

Finally you should check the fan is blowing or sucking air through the rad. Regardless of where the fan is the flow of air through the rad is front to back.

Nigel

I know a lot of this has been said before but it needs to be checked.

Edited by Longboarder

yes checked and double checked fan blow and yes the thermostat is in the correct way gonna try with half a thermostat in and see what flow I get and no the only thing I not checked is timing as not sure how far to advance it I have it set at either 4 or 8 degrees not sure till I next check.as the bypass pipe is that the one from the thermostat housing if so it is blanked off.