Zetec Starter, What Are You Using?

flameredturbo

Hi, as a few of you will know I had a bit of trouble with my starter a couple of weeks back problems seem to have re surfaced.

Yesterday me and John (mostly john) got the engine running and ticking over but later on in the day when starting there was a really loud clunking from we think the starter area, I'm fairly sure it's from that area and can only be starter/flywheel related. It did do it a couple of times when I was starting and stoping it on the phone to omex over a week ago and it's since run with no problems so can't be internal.

It did seem louder this time though, we turned the engine and all teeth are on the fly, any ideas?

Also, the main purpose of my post, what quality starters are you guys using on tour zetec to type 9's and where did you get them? Mine was a £50 eBay job and I fear a case of buy cheap buy twice!

Guest alfaGTA

Pinto starter with 14mm spacer between bellhousing mating face and starter face, zetec 1.8 flywheel and clutch, no issues with meshing.

No loose bolts? How much clearance have you got? engine/bellhousing not making contact with chassis hence clunk?

I've got clearance, I'm pretty sure it's not knocking the chassis, it's on heavy duty mounts now and doesn't move much at all. The only lose bolts I'm worried about are flywheel ones, but I checked and double checked so it can't be that, plus then it ran it would have shaken it's self out the garage if loose.

The clunk is like your whacking the block or bellhousing with a hammer! Horrible sounds lost me a couple of hours sleep last night for sure!

Guest mcramsay

I had a new zetec stater start clunking, I bought it off eBay. Go out and shake the starter if it moves that's your problem, I found the tie rods that hold the stator casing to the flange that bolts up against the engine had vibrated loose. And the starter was close to having the stator (outer body of the starter) fall off! I whipped the starter off and took each bolt out in turn loctite thread locked the bolt and done it up again, should be 3 long bolts holding the casing together.

I had a new zetec stater start clunking, I bought it off eBay. Go out and shake the starter if it moves that's your problem, I found the tie rods that hold the stator casing to the flange that bolts up against the engine had vibrated loose. And the starter was close to having the stator (outer body of the starter) fall off! I whipped the starter off and took each bolt out in turn loctite thread locked the bolt and done it up again, should be 3 long bolts holding the casing together.

We did take it apart and tighten it and it still did it, Was it as I describe? A full on whack with a hammer?

Guest mcramsay

It was a light clunk, with vibration on revving the car, very clunky when starting. I would whip the starter out and check the ring gear on the flywheel, you are sure it's the starter?

It was a light clunk, with vibration on revving the car, very clunky when starting. I would whip the starter out and check the ring gear on the flywheel, you are sure it's the starter?

We turned the engine and the flywheel was ok, very small metal shards that must have come from the starter sitting in the bottom of the bell housing.. I can't really think what else it could be. As I said it did it a couple of time a week or so ago and then ran pretty ok this weekend.