S7 S/s Tub, Stress Fractures

Guest shaggy

Guest shaggy

Hi, can anyone advise what strengthening mods have been done to S7's?

I have a sierra based S7,full s/s monocok, and noticed his week that there appears to be stress fractures on the rear of the floor pan where the engine mounts sits. Its towards the back end of the engine bay,near the main tub, and both sides appear to have tears in the steel. I will be at stoneleigh to give anyone a clearer picture of the rips.

Si

Can onye tell me why I ca't type a entence ithout etters being missed off????

There is a lot of topics on this subject do a search and you'll find lots.

As for the stress fractures we all seem to have these although mostly around the front. Yours is the first I've heard of near the main tub.

Can you get a pic ??

Guest mower man

Drill the end of it [crack ] aput a large dia bolt with spreader plates both side and tighten feircly did mine like this 8/9 years ago been mot every year since , I think its caused by stupidly stiff front springs [180 were factory fit] and the donor a/roll bar if tou havent fitted tie bars do it and fit 120 lb springs or lower ,there is one guy on here running 80lbs if you want details on tie bar mod contact me and I will provde them free mowerman :crazy:

Guest shaggy

Thanks Steve and Mick.

booked in for plates being welded on Friday before run down to Stoneleigh

Mick,I suspect I am running std springs so will look at replacing with 120's. Already have tie bar mod,a very kind ember on here sent me plans - now who could this have been I wonder???

Guest mower man

Mick, do you know what spec I would require? i.e. spring length and Diameter?

120lbs ,dia as what you take off could be 1,9 or 2,24 depends on damper type length same as you take off [free length ] as said it is p[ossible to go softer I have the pinto boat anchor in ,with zetec you would poss take another 10 at least ,this is guesstimate !!!!! mick :acute: :crazy:

I had that problem many years ago, drilled a small hole at the end and had them welded by someone who knows what he is doing and had no problems since. They start at the end of the flanged return on the floor panel where there is a sharp corner instead of a radiused one. I suspect the split starts as soon as the panel is bent! I also have softer springs btw.

Guest shaggy

Thanks Peter, glad its not just mine then. Thought it might have been the zetec transplant, added with a heavy right foot that was he problem.

Going into a fab shop on friday to drill at the end of the crack and weld a plate over the whole area.

also looking at buying softer sprigs this weeked

Ta Si