Wont Crank Over

Guest busman770

Guest busman770

Has any body had this problem go for a run in 7 and get it up to operating temp turn it of then go start it it like the timings out just like a nip but if its left 20 30 mins its normal cranking fine

Guest mcramsay

High resistance on the main starter windings, resistance gets higher with heat. Generally a sign the starter is on the way out.

Guest mcramsay

Sorry in the above post I assumed the battery was good, that's the first thing I would check, check the voltage on the battery with no electrics turned on, should be 12.4-12.7. If not then the battery is goosed. Also check what the bolt drop on the battery is when you turn on the ignition, this will also show if the battery is goosed or not.

Had something similar on mine a couple of years back. Took me ages to sort it. Went down the routes of high compression starter etc but to no avail. Ended up being a faulty engine start/stop switch. Last thing I would have thought of. New switch and problem resolved

Had something similar on mine a couple of years back. Took me ages to sort it. Went down the routes of high compression starter etc but to no avail. Ended up being a faulty engine start/stop switch. Last thing I would have thought of. New switch and problem resolved

Guest Gargoil

It wont be fuel, because that doesn't effect cranking to that extent. The engine is hot, so loose and not dealing with as much internal friction/compression, so it isn't that. Battery will be charged (it starts ok when cool) so that really just leaves the starter motor and associated wiring. Something is getting hot and not liking it. Have you tried letting it idle and get up to temperature to see if the fault is still there? If it is, you may be able to cool something quickly to prove/disprove a component.

Edited by Gargoil

My Superspec has always done this, although it does actually crank but VERY Slowly. Luckily it always catches. I asked for advice on it a few months ago and the general concensus was:

1. Poor Earth strap from engine to chassis. I put one on and it made no difference.

2. ECU leaving ignition too far advanced when engine is hot.

3. Engine just generally tight when hot.

My battery sits at 12.5V when ignition switches, and like yours cranks the cold engine no problem. Although I did note the battery voltage drops to 9.7V on initial crank quickly recovering to 10.5V. So it might be a bit dodgy.

Be interested if you do find the solution,