Help...car Won't Start!

Have you replaced the dizzy cap and the rotor arm?

New dizzy, cap, HT leads, sparks, ignition coil.......

Car stopped burping and farting last night after I replaced 2 new spark plugs with another new pair and re-seated the HT leads.

Nikki will give it a good blast around today and find out how reliable it is.

But still worried about the slipping timing belt (see post #30) and why the sparks got so dirty on just tick over :(

Edited by Dino

Is the belt moving forwards on the pulley? It should really centre itself, a bit of moverment backwards and forwards whilst it's running is ok but more often than not the belt sits towards the rear of the pulleys because it sits iyself against the big dished washer that's fitted on the nose of the crank behind the bottom cambelt pulley.

Is the belt tension correct - should just twist 90 degrees in the middle of the long run between the cam pulley and the dizzy drive pulley.

Fouled plugs on idle might be mixture, are the plugs oily or sooty?

• Like 1

dino is it just in the darkness of the night that your alter ego nikki has control

Yeah...it's shirt and tie during the day, stockings and high heels of a night :)

Weekends are very confusing, so decided to just stick with the birthday suit. :crazy:

Is the belt moving forwards on the pulley? It should really centre itself, a bit of moverment backwards and forwards whilst it's running is ok but more often than not the belt sits towards the rear of the pulleys because it sits iyself against the big dished washer that's fitted on the nose of the crank behind the bottom cambelt pulley.

Is the belt tension correct - should just twist 90 degrees in the middle of the long run between the cam pulley and the dizzy drive pulley.

Is the belt moving forwards on the pulley?

Yes and keeps moving forwards until I switch off the engine and slide it back to the rear of the pulley myself.

Is the belt tension correct?

Unsure, as the radiator and fan (with cut-out for pulleys) are in the way.

I may remove the fan tonight and check the tension and state of the broken alternator pulley.

Hmmmmm.......one spark plug I removed last night was oily.

do you get a nice cloud of smoke on start up? could be worn stem seals dropping oil onto your valves.

As for the cam belt if you are taking it off spin the tensioner pully by hand and feel for play. Mine went and you could hear the ball bearings as i span it, like a skateboard wheel. Shouldn't really have a sound as such just smooth.

do you get a nice cloud of smoke on start up? could be worn stem seals dropping oil onto your valves.

As for the cam belt if you are taking it off spin the tensioner pully by hand and feel for play. Mine went and you could hear the ball bearings as i span it, like a skateboard wheel. Shouldn't really have a sound as such just smooth.

I thought that cloud of smoke was normal on start-up!

Spin tensioner pulley and listen for wear - noted :db:

Yes and keeps moving forwards until I switch off the engine and slide it back to the rear of the pulley myself.

If you can slide the belt back on the pulley then it's probably too loose.

Just thinking about my earlier post. The big dished washer that stops the blet moving is fitted IN FRONT of the cambelt sprocket in the crank, between the sprocket and the bottom fanbelt pulley.

Thrashed forgot to fit this on his car and the belt was moving forwards on the pulley. Check you've actually got one fitted. Badly worn tensioner could also possibly cause the belt to move about.