Help...car Won't Start!

The "correct" TDC Eh ? :)

Was it set on the wrong one then - easily done :)

Simon.

Yeah.....needed to look on-line to find out what the TDC was for the Pinto engine (don't have a manual or experience).

Typically we were setting it against a mark on the crankshaft top, when it was actually at the bottom covered in oil and only visible after a wipe down.

Easy when you have the info, patience and a clean engine :)

Great learning curve and now have ordered the manual....99p

Thanks once again.....Dino

Edited by Dino

Guest peter2b2002

when i had my dizzy out to put a new hall effect sensor in , put dizzy in tdc on the crank mark no go wrong tdc re set tdc crank and cam pointing at tdc . bingo works

peter2b

well done, you now know how to time the Pinto, albeit rough time, pintos really are easy when you get to know them, basic as they come, and then we alter them and make them troublesome lol

Mitch

Guest Ian & Carole

Take the plug out of the cylinder that had the loose HT lead and see if it is wet, change with another plug and try again.

HTHs

Guest Ian & Carole

Thought you had just put new ones in.??

If they were new at the weekend then I would start looking a bit deeper, compression test is the 1st place and cross your fingers for a good result.

Arrrrgghhhh, if it's not the kit car its the bloody new one....Crap alarm keeps going off every night.... :(

Right.....Replaced 2 of the new spark plugs with more new spark plugs and re-seated all of the HT leads again.

Tuned the dizzy by ear to a nice steady tick over of 1000 rpm with the vacuum lead removed.

Took it for a spin around the block (22:30) and no coughing, popping, burping and farting from the car, drives much better again now. :)

Nikki will take it out for a spin today and give a verdict on how it feels, but still unhappy that the car hasn't done any miles yet on a new set of HT leads, spark plugs, ignition coil and dizzy. Yet the spark plugs are black and oily when removed.:(

Let's hope it's nothing serious!

I will put my timing light in the car for holowell. We can give you a lesson in timing.

Dude, I've got a timing light......!

But when I came to using it late last night......It seems I have more of an issue with the timing belt :(

When I removed the timing belt cover to use the the light and started the car.....The bloody timing belt started slipping of the pulleys. :nea:

It seems the cover is the only thing that is stopping the belt from coming off at the moment.

To make matters worse, to tighten the timing belt or replace any of the pulleys I have to remove the bloody radiator and fan.

Not the 5 minute job I expected, when servicing the car.

(I have since found a small piece of one of the alternator belt pulleys on the garage floor last night, which doesn't bode well).

So putting the feelers out for a replacement 2 core aluminium radiator with integrated oil cooler to move to the front of the car and make things a little easier to work on. So new cooling system to kill 2 birds with one stone (gearbox cooler & radiator), then onto changing the timing belt, pulleys and fixing the timing etc....