Type 9 Strange Problem

blue

Hi all i have an interesting problem

my Type 9 is perfect in EVERY way no noises crunches jumping out of gear etc EXCEPT !!!!

if i stop in third i cant get it out of gear ????

this happens only in third no other gears

the only way to get it out of gear is to drive the car over 20 mph ( clutch killer ) then all becomes good again till i forget to drop it into another gear below 20 mph

im kind of living with it but its becoming a right pain in the b*m

any ideas ?????

Guest mower man

Would go with the clutch issue having suffered numerous selection probs in the past and only recently found something like cure by drilling the cable quadrant and putting 2 bolts through to increase the radius , its working at the moment !!! :search: :crazy: mowerman

I had an issue with the spigot going a bit to far into the bearing, touching the crank.

Slightly different to your problem but spacing the bellhousing cured it.

If you haven't fitted the dust shield between engine and bellhousing it may cause the drag.

Another issue may be the gear selector which protrudes out of the box into a recess in the bellhousing sticking.

Check bellhousing where it connects to gearbox, if the bolts are loose they'll be a slight gap

If you have checked/replaced the selector saddle under the lever and all is OK then it's probably Hub plate ( inserts ) edges in bulk rings worn/broken will make disengaging difficult/impossible

Often due to over quick gear change

A rebuild is necessary

Edited by Snapperpaul