Jag V6 3.0 Into My 2B

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Another few important bits done this week.

I removed the original engine mounts with the angry grinder and mocked up some new ones out of ally plate just so I could work out what I was going to do.

Before I cut them off I made a timber frame template so I can locate the new mounts

27_zpsm9jkgahl.jpg

The mounting points on the frame are curved here, so it took a few attempts to get something that I was happy with. Primary consideration was to make sure I get a long enough length of plate top and btm to weld to the tubular frame. I will be making the final mounts out of 3mm stainless, fully welded to the stainless tubular frame

25_zps1ltbcavn.jpg

Next up was sorting out the alternator location and belt routing - I have a fair amount of adjustment in the alternator location.

26_zps5p1j5lyy.jpg

Today I decided to get most of the metal work done to separate the engine bay from the car. Enjoy this part as its lots of shiny shiny stuff. Also mounted the Reservoirs for the brake / clutch.

23_zpsx9kirdr7.jpg

24_zpsblxqtx2i.jpg

Just started cutting the rear aluminium panels to cover the instrument / wiring...but decided to stop and have a brew instead

Fairly pleased so far.

Dave

Guest david_l_perry

Last couple of days has been spent stripping all the engine bay paneling off again, so I could paint the steel framework and sort out a couple of panel securing points. It's now all back together again looking like the photo above....again......tiny steps....

Just waiting to pick up my new stainless engine mounts that I am having pre bent at a local fabricators, as my sheet metal brake won't bend the heavier gauge stainless. They have also welded up the shortened Jag gear selector frame for me as it's aluminium.

Hopefully pick them up Monday/Tuesday so I can get them welded in and then engine in for final tweaks. Next job is to sort out the drive shaft, and then work out final placement of alternator and make sure that does not clash.

Lots left to do, but again...little steps so I don't get overfaced....

Big jobs coming up:-

Work out what Radiator I am best using, pretty sure a triple core Alloy unit as used by steve in Stockport is what I will go for....will be tapping him up for a shufty :-) and then work out the plumbing.....and order a fan....push or pull....not sure yet....

Biggest purchase will be the emerald and ancillary parts like fuel pump, regulator and some sensors.....best part of a £1k

Once I have got all final locations for the engine sorted and have the driveshaft measured, I will take the engine out again, hopefully fir the last time, so I can give it a full service on the bench, replace gaskets, plugs etc and generally clean the engine up.

Fun fun fun.....

Guest 2b cruising

Your doing really well David. As the saying goes "no rest for the wicked"

I bought a let engine today. That's my spare time and dosh gone. Fun to come though.

Guest david_l_perry

Few more bits done this weekend. I fitted the screen wash tank. and painted all the metalwork that I had fabricated - its all hidden behind the panelling other than the bonnet stay support, but now its all nicely painted and hidden... :)

31_zpsopp0nnom.jpg

Next up was the pointless, but satisfying task of cleaning the allow block. ITs all on show so I may as well make it look a little cleaner...

Before:-

29_zps7xtttwku.jpg

And after:-

30_zpselgi5jpz.jpg

I also made a new alternator mounting bracket (more welding and drilling) and fitted it all on the engine along with the bottle neck tension adjuster - nice bit of kit that makes belt tensioning a simply job.

33_zpspsyb0hpg.jpg

32_zpskj6pni7w.jpg

34_zpst3mo1yno.jpg

Dave

Guest david_l_perry

One thing worth mentioning is the belt. I was concerned that it would be a struggle to find a belt the right length for what I wanted.

No problem at all....This place had pretty much any length and I got exactly what I wanted

Its a K profile for anybody who may need to order one !

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/Products-Poly+V-Belts/c4747_5339/index.html

Guest david_l_perry

More work today

Replaced the original engine mounts with new 3mm stainless mounts that are positioned to suit the Jag Engine. The original mounts didn't quite give a full bearing and also where not level.

18_zpsjpqsirc9.jpg

17_zpsdz6efbht.jpg

It took a fair amount of time to get the shape of the new mounts right and lots of angry grinder use to get them to sit correctly onto the curved stainless chassis tubes whilst making sure they are level.....Still, slow n steady wins the race....:D

36_zpsgfpzvcei.jpg

All fully welded and ready for the engine to drop in for its last fitment

35_zpsrcfkokcx.jpg

38_zpsvysfr4ve.jpg

37_zpsgjwxtazv.jpg

I was in area yesterday Dave but there wasn't any cars about didn't knock (think you were at in laws) Will definitely call again. And shout if you need a lift with the doner ...was suprised how shiny it was sat there

Mitch

Guest david_l_perry

Yep, I was on DIY Duties at the outlaws...

Feel free to call anytime Mitch, a brew is always on the go at Perry Towers....

Guest david_l_perry

Dropped the engine back in last night and put the rubber mounts in place.

Really pleased with the location - measure twice cut once as my dad always says....

Here is the original mounts showing how far out of level and location the Jag mounts would be

17_zpsdz6efbht.jpg

18_zpsjpqsirc9.jpg

And here are the new location mounts - so much happier with them :D

40_zps5ctbdjbo.jpg

39_zps8mkfykg7.jpg

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

It's thicker than the original pinto engine mount, but I may add a gusset to the front. As the engine is an alloy block it's not much heavier than the cast iron pinto. Alex used the original pinto mounts on his jag conversion with no problems. A front infill strengthened gusset would certainly not do any harm.....