Jag V6 3.0 Into My 2B

Guest david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Shiny pipes...lovely shiny pipes

I am active on a Bass guitar forum, and one of the guys on there was kind enough to supply me with the bent stainless tubes for my exhaust. Top chap

<p>He even sent a vid of the pipe bender in action

Guest david_l_perry

Shiny pipes...lovely shiny pipes

A pal of mine bent the stainless steel pipes for me for the exhaust - he even sent a vid of the pipe being bent. He knows I'm sad enough to enjoy stuff like this...

http://vid273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/david_l_perry/Robin%20Hood%202B/Tube%20Bender_zpshkmrrtk8.mp4

I sent over a few dimensions and he provided some bent tubes for me out of lovely shiny shiny stuff.

Spent last night cutting them to size and tonight welding the first side up.

All of the welds are in the engine bay so out of site, so I was not to concerned about doing this part myself. Had to get some stainless Mig wire and Argon gas mix and spend ages getting the wire speed and power rating correct, but worked out well.

This is the side I have yet to do.

65_zpsjrgwkd6g.jpg

Here is the one I did tonight with the more complex bend arrangement

61_zpsacpkzrth.jpg

Couple of welds to join the parts grinded back a little bit

62_zpsc895chty.jpg

And here it is mounted to the manifold

63_zpsq1unsck6.jpg

64_zpsp1mlrss1.jpg

Got to do the other side this weekend, but that's the simpler side with just one 90deg joint

Very pleased

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest 2b cruising

And so you should be. I know I would be.

Got all mine to come yet.

Time to get lots of practice in with stainless and my new welder.

Guest david_l_perry

And both sides now welded and trail fitted. Very pleased

70_zpszw5ppgpy.jpg

69_zps05kgb8ys.jpg

67_zpsq4hrvgwp.jpg

68_zpsxnqtdtnl.jpg

Got to sort out some nice stainless cover plates to go over the original oversized openings.

Next up....out comes the engine and gearbox again for its last time so I can carry out a full service, run the fuel lines, brake lines and electrics.....

Guest david_l_perry

One step forward....several jumps, skips and leaps backwards......

Saturday morning everything was in place. Saturday evening it looked like this....

73_zpspi6jmsys.jpg

This is the last time (hopefully) the engine is being removed and is to allow me to fit the new fuel lines, and brake lines and wiring

Be the end of Sunday I had fully re done all of the engine bay wiring replacing lots of original bullet connectors and joints, with soldered and heat shrink wrapped joints. Far neater and less to go wrong....

Wiring has always been a minor issues with this car - mitch used bits of string and tin cans to communicate electrical signals throughout the build, but I have pretty much replaced all of it over the last few years now. :)

NewFuel lines to be done this week, then brake/clutch lines. and adding some gusset welds to the engine mounts and headlamp mounts. The headlamps have a tendency to start resonating at anything over 70mph, and a small gusset under the plate will stiffen this up considerable

One issue I have got is a broken exhaust manifold stud that I cant remove so far....

72_zpsd4cx3xpu.jpg

So essentially I need help squeezing my nuts to get it out.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Lots more done on the project and I can see the light at the end of the tunnel now

Over the last week I have welded up some gusset plates to the main Engine mounts to stiffen them up. To be fair the mounts are pretty considerable, but better safe than sorry.

74_zpseaes2jib.jpg

Next up was the installation of the nice shiny brake and clutch lines

81_zpsonmsanth.jpg

80_zps2je80dij.jpg

Got these done at another local firm called Proflex

It was then time to start on the engine service. New plugs, filters, gaskets and new clutch. Never done a clutch before. Fairly simple thing to do with the engine on the desk.

Only thing I had to work out was how to centralise the clutch plate without having a spare clutch shaft. turned out a fairly simple solution was to use a couple of sockets bolted through the middle that just happened to match the Diameter of the flywheel perfectly, and then just wrapped some tape around the sockets to get the dia spot on for the clutch spindle centre shaft. It worked a treat and the gear box just slid back on.

79_zpsabmxppcm.jpg

77_zpsou60tobd.jpg

I also did the Engine wiring loom......The original Jag loom has lots of parts on it that I am not interested in using, lots of sensors that the Emerald ECU does not need, so first thing to do was plug the parts in that I do need, and strip all out outer sheathing off to expose the lot. Its then a fairly simple and logical job of just removing the parts you don't need, and then tidying up the runs of the parts I am keeping. Tape them together and then use flexible conduit to keep it all tidy.

83_zpsaudl237d.jpg

84_zpsszhn5eel.jpg

90_zpsn8r95mix.jpg

91_zps7jdiqs7j.jpg

I then threw the engine back in yesterday morning and plumbed it up for its last time. Coolant system all connected, fuel lines all connected and nearly ready for the last few parts.

89_zpsjtsvwy51.jpg

I have a high 13" Kenlowe fan arriving this week to go on the front of the Rad, and a used Emerald K6 ECU was picked up this weekend from Stoneleigh. I am hoping to have the exhaust and drive shaft all connected up this week, and ECU wired in towards the end of the week. Its even possible I may be turning the key next weekend to start It up......

Edited by david_l_perry

Guest david_l_perry

Very nearly all done now...tantalisingly close....

98_zpsncy6iyog.jpg

Oil, water and Fuel all in place and all connected up.

Emerald K6 ECU installed, but just awaiting the Base Map to be emailed over from them.

Its all looking good, and ready to rock.....

99_zps9rxnddfs.jpg

Was hoping to have had it started this weekend, but until I get the Base Map I'm stumped. Still got some other jobs to be on with, so all I not lost....

Got to bleed all the brakes and clutch and sort out a little bit more wiring.

Guest david_l_perry

So here is proof of the engine start up...me sounding happy, about an hour before working out that the clutch was knackered and having to strip the whole engine out again......

Obviously needs setting up on the rolling road as this ECU map is just to get it running.

http://vid273.photobucket.com/albums/jj211/david_l_perry/Robin%20Hood%202B/First%20start%20up_zpslff90ewp.mp4

And then back to this the next day......

73_zpspi6jmsys.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest david_l_perry

Well.....one hell of a week this last week on the toy car front....been up and down like a fiddlers elbow emotionally.....Yes I know its just a car...but Christ its had me frustrated this week....

So, Tuesday morning it was all back to this again as I had to re do the clutch, so everything had been removed from the car again, after it being so painstakingly installed......

102_zpspwkmj6yv.jpg

So installed the new clutch cover plate. The metal fingers you see here are the part that get compressed to free up the Clutch plate.

103_zpsj6zxjiga.jpg

I also realised I had got the Master front and rear brake cylinders on the wrong sides. I had the larger cylinder on the front and smaller on the back...fortunately I spotted this in time . The smaller cylinder moves less fluid, but creates more pressure which is what you want on the front. - I thought larger cylinder should have been on the front brakes.....

113_zpsfy5tasvk.jpg

I had decided that it was also best to replace the clutch slave cylinder at the same time, and this arrived Thursday 2pm.....I was ready and waiting as it arrived to make a start....I was unsure if the old one was causing problems or not, but didn't want to have to take it all out again.....none of these parts are particularly cheap, but at least I know its all new now.

104_zpsg5t7m6fi.jpg

So by 6.30 the same Thursday evening I was putting fluids back in the engine ready for start up :D

105_zpstyajjfco.jpg

I am now very quick at getting the engine in and out.....

8pm I had it all running again.

So, all I then had to do Friday was bleed the brakes and clutch.

Mitch (who built this car in the first place), is fortunately now a pal, and lives close by.

He came round Friday afternoon and helped with this. He also helped by taking the piss as his is way...and to be fair...is also mine.....

Couple of hours later, and we had the car off its stands and I was driving it up the road under its own power. I cant even begin to explain the relief I felt when the clutch worked.

I cant also explain the frustration I felt for second when Mitch told me the clutch was not working.....and then the *bleep* broke out in a big grin knowing he had conned me......

So, all done and ready to rock....again.

106_zpspe6ib7d1.jpg

107_zpsvsa9pimx.jpg

108_zpsiuiegcbr.jpg

Also fitted a new Oil catch tank.

110_zpsubmwwksl.jpg

So it essentially all done and yesterday I loaded it up on a trailer to take it to the rolling road to have the engine tuned up / mapped correctly with my new ECU.

I just hope it does not blow up......In a weeks time I am meant to be driving to France for our annual boys car tour .....

112_zpspp4lx9sm.jpg

And it looks fantastic... Can't wait for you to get it back and take me for a spin....sorry about the "locked clutch thing " cruel but very funny haha... Told you before.. if I'm smiling . I'm plotting.... If I'm laughing.. I have already done it lol...

Guest 2b cruising

This so far has been an interesting and well put together blog.

You have been brilliant with your patience and it has paid you dividends.

Good luck on the RR.

More importantly enjoy France.

Well done all round on the project.

Enjoy the spoils.

Regards, Ken.

Guest red-col

excellent thread good luck on rr i can just see this engine swop catching on, all looks well fitted in engine bay, well done colin

Guest david_l_perry

Well, not quite gone according to plan on the rolling road......

No major disasters, just need to re-connect a couple additional sensors that It needs, that I was originally told it didn't need...so didn't install them....

I didn't have the Variable Valve Timing solenoid and cam sensor connected to the ECU.

To be fair the guy at the rolling road said it could be set up to run on fixed cam but its far better to use the variable valve timing....so no point wasting RR time until I have them back in place and connected up....

Just brought the car back home on the trailer again, and will be dropping it back off next week once I have wired up the extra bits. I still have all the connectors from the JAG fortunately and its simple enough job to fit them and connect up to the ECU as I made sure I had all the Pins ready and numbered for any extra's

Upshot is that I now wont be making the French trip in my toy car next week and will now be going as a passenger with my brother....or now to be known as the 'passenger bitch'

Slightly miffed, but will still have fun.....

Its been like war and piece getting to this stage.....so close yet so far far away.....