I Hate Electrics!

maw

Just getting my car prepped for its MOT at the end of the month and checking everything is good for the season ahead but I've got something a little weird happening with my indicators & hazards - I'm hoping one of your genius's will know the answer!

1. My hazards currently do not work as they should. When the ignition is off and I flick the hazard switch I hear the relay click but my battery warning light comes on but no hazards. Hazards still don't work if the ignition is turned on. Can just hear the relay clicking at point of contact. However, my indicators work on both sides...

2. I started to look at this over the weekend and accidently pulled the switch detaching the wires, so I plopped the wires back on but obviously in the wrong order. To my surprise the hazards worked but only when the switch was in the 'off' position. However, this meant my indicators no longer worked!

This morning I got my wiring diagram out and put the wires back as they should be, my indicators are back but now I'm at point 1. - no hazards again...

I thought it might be something as simple as a relay problem, but why would the hazards work if I wire them up differently? I started with the fuses, they're all good, so I'm now really confused how I can get both working just not both at the same time!

Any guidance appreciated!

Indicators working means relay is good. You have a fault with the hazard switch. Possibly not getting a battery live fed to it. You can check that. More likely it's not making all its internal connections. A spray of the switch with WD40 and a dozen on/off activations will possibly sort it. If not then a new switch.

What set-up do you have? If Sierra column switches then the hazard switch is known to get sticky sometimes.

Nigel

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel...

My switches appear to be off a mini (I think!) but I'll give the WD40 a go and see what happens... Given I'm not going to get to look at this again until the weekend I might just order a new switch in the meantime anyway and plug that in when it arrives!

I still haven't figured out my Superspec electrics but I think it might have 2 different relays. Certainly when my indicators failed because the relay got soaking wet, my hazards still worked perfectly. Does this mean the hazards must have a separate relay ? Or is there another explanation ?

If so the problem might be a failed hazard relay. (And don't bother asking me where the relay is, I have no idea :)

Well, thanks to Nigel I now have everything working as it should! I took the switch apart and it was full of nasty yellow gunk - no idea what that was!

A good clean up and put the switch back together again and everything works. I'd re-built it wrong so the switch was on when it should be off but that is a minor point! 5-minutes later, got it all the right way around again and everything is working and looking good!

I've ordered new switches anyway because the original ones have aged with the black plastic going grey, but at least I can now rest easy knowing it wasn't anything more serious... Now to get it booked in for its MOT!