Chassis Serial Number

dendeel

Hello list... We just purchased an unbuilt kit of a 2B and are wondering if there is a serial number any where on the chassis? It has been through a couple of owners but is basically brand new, most parts still in boxes. Having a serial number would make registration here in Ontario much easier.

Thanks

Dennis

Bowmanville, Ontario

Over here the chassis number is made up from 17 letters & numbers of the owners/builders choosing ( missing out the use of 1 -- 0 -- o -- i ) before test & registration ; so it MAY be that the previous owner has put one on/ somewhere/maybe.

Guest Ian Maycock

It is common to take the chassis number from the donor vehicle assuming sufficient original donor parts are used i.e. Engine, gearbox, rear axle.

It is common to take the chassis number from the donor vehicle assuming sufficient original donor parts are used i.e. Engine, gearbox, rear axle.

No it is not that is known as ringing and carries poss of a stay at HMP ( the dvla issued mine )

Stephen

• Like 3

Hi Dennis,

Impressive list of cars there!

Generally in the UK we dont have the room to keep that many.

It may be worth contacting GBS & see if they can issue a chassis number.

If you have any paper work, have a REALLY GOOD LOOK....

you may find a 17 character unique identifier of mixed letters and numbers

printed on there somewhere.....

Guest Pedro

My 2B has a chassis number stamped on the chassis tube that runs in front of the radiator although it is very feint, there is also a plate on the bulkhead. Only found it when I took my car for a MOT.

As said above in the UK ours cars have to undergo a test before they are allowed on the road. This requires a 17 character chassis (VIN) number but that is either one that is made up by the builder and submitted to the DVLA (our licencing agency) or the DVLA makes one up for the builder. This depends on which way the wind is blowing as the DVLA seem to change their minds over the years.

Once the number is agreed by DVLA it needs to be stamped into the chassis and be non-removable. I think it needs to be in 2 places.

RH never issued a VIN as far as i know as it may have been rejected by DVLA.

Guest peter2b2002

depends on how old your kit is my 2b was made in 2004 I had to go to my local dvla office to get a vin number and get a build up report, I stamped the number on a piece of s/steel rivit it to the front cross member and stamped it onto the cassis

peter2b