Fighting A Losing Battle

Guest mcramsay

Thanks all - I didn't expect any regrets from anyone really...just wanted to check <_>

I've always wanted to do the build myself - thats the most important thing. I'd like to get the wife involved but, realistically, it isn't going to happen. She doesn't like me driving my car fast and she doesn't do 'discomfort', so a trip in the kit car seems unlikely. A shame but not a show-stopper...I've got a couple of years during the build to persuade her. :)

I genuinely could t affor to buy my kit when I did as we had just spent our wedding fund in buying a house and the wedding was only 5 mints away, but a part built "deal" came up and I couldn't turn it down. 3.5 years later, I don't regret a thing. There have been hard times and good times, but the kit was always there for me when the time was right for me to go and tinker. Even now it is finished (well, it was until it broke but that's another story) I found myself going toe garage and just putting some music on and going over everything making sure it was all as good as it can be while I wait on my IVA.

The wife isn't interested in the build but cannot wait for it to be in the road now it's nearly there.

seriously nothing gets me more motivated than a couple of episodes of 'sin city motors' or 'American chopper'.

Print out loads of pics in colour of the car you are building and the bits you want and pin them to the wall. helps if you can see what you are aiming for

don't give up though was enjoying hearing about the build and looking forward to seeing the end product!

Guest mcramsay

I definitely won't be giving up on the thing! I have put too much time and effort in!! And blood from skinned knuckles. Thinking back when marlin said to me " would you like to build a kit using a new donor we are going to start using, it all bolts together lovely!" I wish I had said no thanks! But then again the car I am building is literally tailored to my dimensions, ie changing gear linkage lengths to position the gear stick to where I want it, modifying the pedals and steering column to where I want them etc. it has been a hard, tiring and frustrating build. But I will be so happy when it's on the road, and I know that the level of workmanship on this kit blows my zero out of the water, it makes me feel embarrassed in what I built in my zero build! But after your first build you start to think about things much more logically rather than just bolting things where they fit!

Well I have a shed load of parts ordered up tonight, and a job list for this week in hand! Time to get it finished!

Guest peter2b2002

yes its a BMW Z3 2.2 straight 6 puts out about 170 bhp, took swmbo for a quick run up the private road out side my house she was well impessed so was I

peter2b