Zero Windscreen & Iva

brumster

You didn't get what I meant. To get a required 2.5 mm radius, you need sheet metal 5mm thick to begin with. Anything thinner would mean that at some point the radius (radii ?) would not comply with a 2.5mm radius.

Simon.

Guest mower man

You didn't get what I meant. To get a required 2.5 mm radius, you need sheet metal 5mm thick to begin with. Anything thinner would mean that at some point the radius (radii ?) would not comply with a 2.5mm radius.

Simon.

Yes Iget were you are coming from but make them out of 5mm alloy and you get a perfect radius and a more stable screen ok I'm being abit pedantic and I didnt have to go through the pain of IVA /SVA and used 4mm alloy and perhaps an hour with the file mick Edited by mower man

Re the windscreen pillars there is a tool for ensuring you get the radius correct it's called A FILE ! mick :crazy:

No amount of filing will give a 5mm diameter to 3mm thick s/steel --so edge trim is the answer if the pillar is not against the body work.

Guest 2b cruising

If the frame edge is up against the windscreen surround mine is filled with windscreen sealer. Not mastic. The windscreen sealer is more permanent and better for shaping when set. This would fully disguise the leading sharp edge.

The other edge trimmer can be got from car builder solutions or similar outlet.

If you put a little mastic inside this before fitting, it helps to hold it in place. Yes I know this is self clamping but mastic keeps it on better.

I have also seen a much better job made of this using westie frames. Then the correct filler used to fill in the gaps.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest mower man

No amount of filing will give a 5mm diameter to 3mm thick s/steel --so edge trim is the answer if the pillar is not against the body work.

Agreed but use 5 mm alloy and you get aperfect radius [ if you doit properly ] and a more stable screen :crazy:

How do they get away with that? I thought if there was evidence that you were planning on fitting a screen, or had only taken it off for the test, then they fail you or something?

because windscreens are one item and glass is another, just because a windscreen is made of glass does not mean it is considered the same as glass. removal of glass, with obvious signs it has been removed is a fail, it does not refer to windscreens.

to elaberate on previous, private builds do not have the same requirement as proffesional builds at this time.

BS is still OK for private builds, not factory, the deadline has been extended twice, but will end at some point.

E mark is OK for private builds, but is not current standard for factory and to get new car status.

... the deadline has been extended twice, but will end at some point.

(a side step here)

Hmm, interesting point about deadlines you mention. I was wondering if such a deadline exists for the Fog light requirements that it may eventually require a controlling circuit?

Simon.

Guest ali2992

So could I put wiper motor, and washer bottle in, but not wipers and jets etc, and not the windscreen, and still pass? Or would I be better speaking to test station?

• 2 weeks later...

Just to echo from another thread, and keep traceability here, SHX Windscreens in Norwich have quoted me £100 (+£15 delivery) and 5 days for a laminated, fully IVA-compliant marked screen for a GBS Zero. Needless to say, I'm going with that option :)

Karl has my template so I see no reason why anyone should need to send him any template now for a GBS Zero narrow-body (non-GT) windscreen...

• Like 1

Ricky Evans have got back to me also; a bit late now, but for completeness....

A single screen from them is £135+vat

If I ordered 10, it would come down to £75+vat per screen

That's clear laminated, with all the relevant type approval marks. Not heated, although obviously they can do that at additional cost.

So, not massively competitive to be honest, particularly when you consider the 6 week lead time. Fine if we did a big group buy but it sounds like people are all doing their own little thing. But I'll put it on here as a backup reference. They have the template now - GBS Zero narrow-body.

• Like 2