Brake Fluid Very Different Colour?

speedtripledan

20150530_122959_zpsm48u8uf7.jpg

both pots are brand new dot 4 fluid left one is from a 5litre bottle of pagid cheap at £16 the right is from a bottle of gulf. Tbe left one looks old and tired where as the right looks as i.d expect for new fluid, any opinions? The left is what ive used through all my brake issues the right is what i added today when i fixed all the issues.

Guest 2b cruising

No real need to take any action a long as they are both dot4.

It won't even matter mixing it with top ups.

On the other hand, if you were to be entering a pristine type of contest?

Guest 2b cruising

Hi. If it came out of the can that colour, and the can was stored correctly, I would leave as is.

You might have to top it up with some other colour on a road trip in the future. What would you do then?

Would you bleed it all out again when you get home.

If however you were to use a higher grade to suit your rather spirited,driving style, you should change to a blue type which has a higher boiling type. Especially for any track days.

If it boils, that's instant air in your system and once again, no brakes.

If not, put the cap back on and forget about it.

buy another bottle (small one 500ml) of the dodgy one and if it is the same colour as that then it will just be how they manufactured it. Otherwise as you suspect it has been contaminated, in which case send the manufacturer the picture and ask for your money back. I think we always tend to worry more as we know a little more. If you went to have a brake service at a garage you probably wouldn't have even looked and god knows what they would have put in or how long the container has been open for.

• Like 1