Gbs Front Brakes

nelmo

Continuing on my series of asking questions about ABSOLUTELY everything, front brakes next.

While researching options other than refurbished Sierra calipers and disks from GBS (about £200), bloke at Rally Design suggested a Willwood pack they do for £320 - 4-pot shiny new calipers, supposed to be very good (although they would say that, of course).

Up to now, I've managed to avoid paying more than i have to but the Willwoods do look good and shouldn't skimp on brakes, i guess?

Opinions?

Guest 2b cruising

You are not talking mega bucks are you.. The extra stopping power is then ther when, or indeed if needed.

If you do track days, far less chance of over heating with larger braking area.

On top of that, BLING!!!

Continuing on my series of asking questions about ABSOLUTELY everything, front brakes next.

While researching options other than refurbished Sierra calipers and disks from GBS (about £200), bloke at Rally Design suggested a Willwood pack they do for £320 - 4-pot shiny new calipers, supposed to be very good (although they would say that, of course).

Up to now, I've managed to avoid paying more than i have to but the Willwoods do look good and shouldn't skimp on brakes, i guess?

Opinions?

Unless you can get the standard Sierra calipers/brakes for sensible money, go for it. However, you're front brakes are only as good as the grip they've got from decent, compliant suspension setup, an appropriate master cylinder ratio, tyres, grip conditions, etc. so don't think that a standard sierra caliper isn't going to do the job - it'll be fine. There is such a thing as over-braking a car and ruining the brake balance, although this tends to be more of a worry on the back than the front.

At least with Willwoods/etc you're getting something new, and they'll stand up to some spirited use if you plan to track it/etc...

• Like 1

Guest alfaGTA

If you are going to run "R" spec tyres, partake in track days and don't currently have calipers or discs then go Wilwood or Hispec-the price difference is negligible.

Yes you may be "overbraked" but its best to have that in reserve.

On the pad front I use Mintex 1144 with no issues, just don't feather the brakes or they tend to squeal.

The Wilwood's being american have an odd size brake fitting but unions are readily available, Hispec I believe do not require a union.

I'm using the sierra master cylinder but once again you won't have one so best off to get a suitable master cylinder from the brake supplier.

Mind and budget for braided lines, personally if I was building from scratch I'd run one braided line from master cylinder to brake caliper with the least possible joins and thus lowering the risk of leakage.

We as a club have an old discount code for Russ Bost who can make hoses on demand to your spec http://furorecars.co...e-clutch-hoses/

I think I used http://www.hosesolutions.co.uk/

They are HEL branded.

Edited to add;

Brakes, suspension and tyres are the most important things to get right and should be priority! Power is great but those three things IMO are top of the list.

Edited by alfaGTA