Petrol Evaporating

johnhetherington

Silly question but how quickly does petrol evaporate.

In March I put 15 litres of unleaded in my 2B, since then I have started it up a few times but not driven it, not IVA'd yet.

Today tried to start it and no fuel, no leaks, no smell of petrol, but empty.

Would 15ltrs disappear in 3 months?

Guest Ian & Carole

In a word John NO!!!.

Over the winter both my wedding cars stand for 3/4 months and I have never had a fuel evaporation problem, the Beauford does empty its carb over a 2 week period but that's a cup full you are talking 3 gallons, check you oil level, you might find some in the sump.

Again, this should not happen that quickly.

I have a petrol mower that has three small air holes in the filler cap and that will evaporate a small tank eventually so I always empty as much as possible after use. However, the little that remains is still there between cutting sessions, even over winter (when it's colder so also evaporates slower too)

And the size of the tank on it is tiny by comparison.

Simon.

Edited by Simon B

Guest 2b cruising

No John it should not.

Does your garage smell of petrol all the time.

If no it won't be a leak. A leakage of that rate would easily be smelt.

I would still put some more in to check though.

We can go right through your pipe work on the day.

Have you still got your trestles so we can get it right off the ground.

If not I will bring two tall chassis stands for one end.

I also have a high lift jack if you want it.

In the mean time. Can you put some clean cardboard down underneath it.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest 2b cruising

John, do not despair. Keep your head up mate.

You are not alone in this experience. Many have been and are still in your situation.

Keep on the positive side and think of what it will be like driving it along the road with everyone admiring your toils.

You will definately get there mate.

Just like your reg high 5.

Edited by 2b cruising

John, as Ken says you aren't alone.

If you put the paper/card down and identify the leak (which it definitely sounds like), then there's plenty of time to sort.

If not, then we can go over your fuel piping on the 27th.

I've got some 8mm id hose that i'll bring with me along with the red/yellow flexi fuel pipe originally supplied by RH.

We'll check from the filler cap to the carbs, but if I remember you have the original filler cap.

A simple check, it might be worth checking that you have a seal around the filler cap.

Al

If you have lost this amount through a leak or evaporation I am sure there would be a constant smell of fuel in a closed garage. I recently had a non start issue with mine due to a perished rubber pipe where you could smell fuel but not see any leak, the pipe was just cracked enough to stop the fuel being drawn out of the tank by the pump. This was fairly new pipe too, so that roll of pipe has now been assigned to other duties as it was obviously not fit for purpose. It can and does feel like one thing after another sometimes but it sounds like you are nearly at the finish so don't give up. After my recent experience I would take any rubber pipes off while the tank is empty and examine them by bending to look for cracks and then if you can't find anything fill up and look for leaks. I finally found my leak by putting my finger over the end of the pipe and blowing through the other, it was that hard to see. God I love the taste of premium unleaded in the morning