Zetec Miss Fire

Guest peter2b2002

Guest peter2b2002

last week it started to miss fire I fitted a new coil pack ,plugs, and leads hardly any change, now 1day later sounds and feels like its only running on 3 cylinders revs OK up to red line but when pulling away its gut less I have noticed a loud purring noise from number 4 cylinder end of the engine (not the cat)

any ideas_?

peter2b

Exhaust gasket gone? If you hold a thin piece of tissue paper in a pair of pliers & move it around the exhaust gasket do you see the paper flutter around one in particular?

Guest peter2b2002

Cheers Bob thats what i tnough, bits keep falling off, like rear view mirror ,rear upper brake light, wheel arch liners think its time for scrapers doesn't owe me anything in fact i think im in still in profit after it was hit from behind and classed as a cat C insurance pay out was more than i paid for it 5 years ago

Peter2b

Ps any one looking for a doner :)

Guest 2b cruising

Hi Pete.

As stated byLandie. It might not actually be misfiring, but just sounds like that.

Follow landis instructions and try and find the blow. If it is just a manifold blow just change that gasket. Easy peasy job.

If it is the head gasket, that's a little more involved. Especially if you disturb your cam mountings.

Guest 2b cruising

I had a second post that got lost.....

Maybe a head gasket?

dont get yourself lost in France Bob.

Good job your not going alone.

Make sure your not the convoy leader, and don't forget your car.

Sometimes hard to locate the dropped cylinder but its exhaust runner will be cooler than the other three. If you can confirm that then you know which cylinder it is. Then its a matter of confirming fuel and air to that cylinder, compression and finally spark. If all runners are up to the same temperature (infra-red thermometer is a useful instrument) then you may be looking at a mechanical like ex or head gasket, sticky valve, rings or piston to name a few possibles.

Nigel

Nigel

Guest 2b cruising

Start with the simple and basic stuff first.

ie, if it's chuffing through a blown gasket it will be easy to find if you are patient.

Don't go ripping your engine apart until you have fully diagnosed the fault.

A blown exhaust gasket from one cylinder does sound just like a misfire although it is louder as the hole gets bigger.

Don't get worried about it, we can all guide you through it.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest peter2b2002

Itsnot the puring noise that im woried about its the fact that i has lost a lot of power when pulling away in 1st gear totaly gut less compaired to what it was like 2 weeks ago even when i get up to 20 mph its still strugerling to go in any gear

peter2b

Guest 2b cruising

When it is struggling, are the revs still going up but you have a lack of power.

You just might have a clutch problem.

When you say difficult to change gear, do you actually mean it won't mechanically change, and making noises. Or when you get the next gear, there is just no power but revs ok. Or won't Rev.

The purring noise at the back of the engine could be a clutch bearing noise.

When the car is parked with the engine running in neutral, does the engine rev freely.

Not easy putting the finger on this. Would be easy to diagnose if I had the car.

Edited by 2b cruising

Guest zerorace

first stop running it as you could be doing more damage now check coolant and oil level

loss coolant and increase in oil could be head gasket

remove the plugs place tissue or cloth over the holes and turn the engine on the starter and check for anything on the tissue or cloth and report back your findings