Ripped My Sump Out...

Guest thirteen-o-two

Guest thirteen-o-two

Yep, on leaving the Manchester Airport Transport meeting two of their finest operatives directed us over a lump in the road (that holds a steel bollard (and ripped my sump to buggery) The car was trailered home and I am hoping that its just a new sump required. My mechanic son has inspected the damage and thinks that I 'might' have got away with no further damage t the engine. Its a Rover T series in a SSpec. Ive had a quick mooch about on the internet for suppliers of a replacement but some up with Rimmer Bros at £165 ish - does any one know of a cheaper way round this - or indeed an alternative and better one?

You will be VERY lucky. My Superspec had a leaking sump when I bought it, for the same reason, the previous owner had grounded it. Every breaker's yard I went to burst out laughing when I mentioned the Rover 'T'., said they hadn't seen one for years.

I searched on E-Bay, the Rover forum and everywhere I could think of with no luck. You might have to finish up buying an old Rover 420 just for the sump. But be VERY careful, as you want the alloy sump, otherwise you will have zero ground clearance, and you have to make sure it is from the non-turbo engine and also not from the diesel version, the sumps are all different.

I finished up getting mine welded and although it still leaks, it isn't anything a piece of cardboard and a towel on the garage floor can't cope with :)

You may have joined too late to see the article I wrote in 'Boys in Hoods' about the foibles of the Superspec, one of which was the ridiculously low ground clearance. After I had mine welded I wound up the front suspension about an 1" and fitted a sump guard from some scrap stainless steel. See http://the-superspec...ustment_10.html and http://the-superspec...sump-guard.html Since then I have had no problem at all.

Al

Edited by alanrichey

Guest thirteen-o-two

Thanks. Mine is steel but I read somewhere that you can fit an alloy one with longer bolts. Im relu tant to spent good money on a sump if it turns out I need a new engine anyway ;) ill investigate the state of it a little further.

it's a bit of a right of passage, busting your sump. Welcome to the club! I recommend you fix your steel sump with a 3mm steel baseplate, for a bit of strength and wear resistance

Andy