Novice Question - S7 Vs 2B/2B+

Guest h34ds

Guest mower man

I ran an s7 mono for 12 years and loved every minute the cracking probs mentioned are in my op down to stupidly stiff suspension rates on the front susp and on keeping the too stiff doner a/roll bar . I had minor issues with cracking but nothing that could not be cured , approx 30/35 000 miles 3 trips to Lemans and lots of runs out ,shows etc ,also made many friends through the club ,[i'm still a member ] and had many trips out . A word of advise at kit car should not be taken on lightly or with shallow pockets but they are big fun!!! mick :crazy: :clapping:

Guest Bobbers

I now own the ex mowerman s7 , I've been ragging it round all summer done lots of car shows etc , I reckon it's a great starter kit car this is because mowerman had done all the mods to make it work well . A well sorted one is great fun , but be assured they ain't got any airbags and any big impact from another vehicle is going to hurt

Guest mower man

I now own the ex mowerman s7 , I've been ragging it round all summer done lots of car shows etc , I reckon it's a great starter kit car this is because mowerman had done all the mods to make it work well . A well sorted one is great fun , but be assured they ain't got any airbags and any big impact from another vehicle is going to hurt

Big thanks Bobbers great to hear you are enjoying it and continue to do for a good while , I still miss it and hope it serves you as well as it served me I 'm settling well into my mx5 and was at a show today with some of the hoodies , was hoping to do Tatton park but there was no room at the inn so next year perhaps , keep well and take care of Flossie mick :crazy: :clapping: :drinks:

Edited by mower man

Come on guys, there is no such model as an S7, They were "Monocoque" chassis cars. Tricky tried to call his first ones S7, but Caterham took him to court to stop him using the *7*.

They were monocoque Robin Hoods; Triumph Dolomite based, Ford Cortina based, then the series 1, series 2, mark 3, mark 3A, all using mainly sierra Donor parts, with a good few "one offs" as mixtures along the way.

Then there was a gap as the SVA test reared it's head, and the monocoque cars were a long way from being able to pass it. After a year or so, the 2B sliding pillock came along, then it came along with wishbones, the 2B plus was nothing more than the 2B (wishbones) but with a box of bits - thrown in, allegedly so you wouldn't need to strip a doner car, ie; seats ,wheels, gauges etc, The superspec with the Rover internals was also produced at Rover prices.

Then came along the Lightweight, a pop-riveted aluminium engineering disaster, lots of problems.

Tricky then sold the business, and it became Robin Hood Sports cars, the new owners soon realising the inbuilt problems with the kits, so completely redesigned the chassis etc, i now believe it's as good a kit as many of the "Higher thought about" 7 type kits out there., well done to them.

ALL Robin Hood kits, especially the early monocoque ones, and even the 2B's suffered from in-built design flaws in one way or another, a good builder / owner will work hard to sort these out, and there are many good cars, including early monocoque ones, out there that owners should rightly be proud of., but it as has already been mentioned in an earlier post, running a kitcar is not like running a standard Eurobox, you will soon learn how to fix it's problems, or it will cost you a lot, then of course there's alway UPGRADEITOUS, a VERY infectious ailment........................

• Like 3

love my 2b, can't comment on others as never had one. They are nice and spacious.

Word of advice ... whatever you buy no matter how good you think the builder is/was go over every inch of the car and check nuts/bolts/fastenings/chaffing wires and cables etc. They are built by people in garages not computer controlled factories so even the best builder sometimes makes mistakes or forgets to do something.

good luck :)

• Like 2

Hi Peter, mine will come back out of the garage next year when I retire ( 7 months + 18 days!) a few little jobs to do on it first, MOT etc then it'll get used again regularly.

That looks like the Cortina based one. and yes, it would be pre lit

Edited by Big Jim

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the information guys. Just back away from Holiday and seen a fair few new posts added.

Yes the front end is very stiff and will be our winter project once we get the engine running at its optimum as its not quite there yet. Some minor adjustments required

We will prob change the rear shocks too as we have to have a look at the fuel tank so while we dismantle we may as well do them at the same time

I'll start the debate

2b very strong but considered a bit lardy, the chassis is effectively a roll cage, very safe

S7 no chassis, a stainless monocoque, I have one it did take a fair bit of work to get it where I want it and you should research on this forum for some minor issues

I like them, and there lighter

Think this summarizes it perfectly