Tv Licence Threats - Rant

agent_zed

From memory (because i looked into this some years ago, not having a tv myself) , doesn't the wording go something like 'capacity to decode live broadcasts'? So if you have a TV which has the circuitry to decode a signal you might not be totally legal even if you don't use it for watching live TV. Don't take my word for it because it's a distant memory now from when I bought an analogue-only card for my computer so i can watch video cassettes. This might be something you want to look into more if you want to be on the right side of the law with a TV you don't use as such.

• 4 weeks later...

so this made me laugh and goes to show what little powers other than threatening letters they have....

So in August i got a letter informing me 'what to expect in court' which began 'You have not responded to out previous letters. We want to ensure you have the information you may need before a hearing is set at your local court'

You would presume perhaps that this is the final stage as they are saying going to court is imminent (note they still have no proof other than i have not responded at this point).

So i find it hilarious that in September i get another letter saying 'As you have not responded to your letters yet, you have left us no alternative but to proceed with the final stages of our investigation' ?!

Wouldn't you think that you would proceed with the final stages of the investigation before informing someone what to expect in court a month earlier !

Basically a big pile of nonsense (or another better word). They have nothing but empty threats in the hope that i'll get so worried by the word 'court' that i'll respond. As said before if and when i have a TV (there isn't a single tv/receiving device in the house) i'll buy a licence but until then it's none of their business and they can go jump and the more threatening letters they send the better. Think i am going to write to them and inform them that due to the threatening nature of their letters i am removing their implied right of access to my house. That should annoy them a little more ;)

• Like 1

Don't forget to include your schedule of charges for processing any further correspondence from them (opening letters and then binning them). I think £20 per letter is reasonable.

Tell them that if they write back to you, you'll take that as an indication that they agree to the charges and want you to process their letters and that you'll invoice them accordingly.

Heck, I stopped my direct debit with them when they turned off the analogue signal.

Since I could no longer "decode" the live broadcasts, I also turned off my "subscription".

They wrote to me saying they could not deduct money from my account (no surprise) and I rang them and explained why.

I even got a refund (which was nice) :)

Simon.

When I was a student, me and my flatmate told them we only used a TV monitor for games consoles/PC use. They stopped harassing us after that and never even came to verify our situation. We had anticipated a visit due to having "a device capable of receiving live TV" but it never came until a letter asking if our circumstances had changed which even then had the threatening language explaining all the court action and fines if we hadn't told them of a change.

Strange how if you don't acknowledge them they continue to harass you and threaten court action and investigations but as soon as you say "Yes, I have a TV but don't watch live TV" they stop....I had admitted to owning a TV but it's ok because all of a sudden my word means something to them?