Push Start Witch No Key

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

Hi guys I'm sure this has been covered numerous times as I've found loads of forums. However none mentioning not using a key.

I'm planning on getting a aircraft style push start with the covered toggle switch.

I've read how to wire the button to start the engine so I'm familiar with that aspect however I want to use the toggle switch as the ignition 1 (so I can use lights radio heaters etc)

So in order I will...toggle switch(ignition) then push start fire up engine. With out the use of keys.

I'm fully aware of the safety and theft risks. It's only gonna be used for shows so constantly locked away or with myself present at all times.

I want to completely eliminate the key and just add maybe 2 extra kill switches, one in engine bay and one hidden in cockpit somewhere.

Just wondering if anyone has done this?

If so any advice on wiring would be great.

Guest peter2b2002

that's what I've done 2 kill switches one for the fuel pump the other to power up the engine relay then a push button to start , I still have the steering lock key that I take out when I leave my 2b also I have a quick release steering wheel that I take off so if some one by passes the kill switches they still have to find some way to steer it

peter2b

Guest Peterrrwatkiinsss

cheers Peter I didn't think of using a kill switch for the fuel pump. I've bought a push start that's built into the gear stick so can't see how to start it unless you know it's there so that's as good an anti theft item on it own lol.

How have you wired all yours up?

As I'll be doing the same way other than the key for steering lock

Guest peter2b2002

I only use one for the fuel pump as I had to fit a switch for the fuel pump as I had to hot wire it years ago when I lost the power to the pump

Peter2b

I'm quite keen to try this too. I really want the proximity type or key slot that activates the power to then flick on with individual swtiches eg. fuel pump, injection, etc. Then have a start button either secretly hidden away somewhere to turn the engine over. Its currently sounding stupidly complicated however someone is bound to tell me shortly it's really simple....especially if I'm looking at making up my own loom from scratch in this rebuild...... :D

I wanted the kudos of a push button start (see my avatar) but I am a total

lecktrick numpty.

So I kept the key ignition, & just put the push button in the wire to the solenoid.

While everyone is waiting for me to push the start button I sneakily

turn the key against the spring, then push the start button.

I keep the steering lock & the push button is disabled at all other times.

I love smoke & mirrors.

I wanted the kudos of a push button start (see my avatar) but I am a total

lecktrick numpty.

So I kept the key ignition, & just put the push button in the wire to the solenoid.

While everyone is waiting for me to push the start button I sneakily

turn the key against the spring, then push the start button.

I keep the steering lock & the push button is disabled at all other times.

I love smoke & mirrors.

That's actually a clever trick. Others would try starting with just the key or the button and get nothing. Having to do both at once is a simple anti theft device. :) (May not stop them for long if they realise this though)

Simon.

I had a push button to start the car but it crapped out on me on the Scotland trip this year, hence the moniker of 'Hotwire' as that is what we had to do to get me running again. We re-wired it back to the key on the second morning and I haven't bothered to change it back since.

Edited by David S