Engine Strip-Down

fry61

Sylvia is stripping a spare engine for re-build/re-bore.

Q. How do we get the dip-stick tube out of the block? It is a 9.5mm thin wall steel tube & it's stuck in the block casting like it was welded in.

Do we cut it off & drill out the remains -- replacing with new on re-build? Have tried a gentle bit of hammer persuasion -- it just bellied the end out.

Guest 2b cruising

It doesn't hurt if you start off gentle.

I'm sure you knew that principal anyway Bob.

Just don't get to excited and have the blooming thing come off in your hand LoL

Isn't it just an interference fit, possibly with an O ring? The tube on my old CVH sierra used to just rotate around in the hole.

Be careful using a blow torch, most engine O rings will be made from flouro elastomers, which when subjected to fire degrade to give off hydroflouric acid. If this gets onto skin or in your eyes it needs a neutralising agent to stop it eating it's way through the tissue. Luckily they have this at most A&E departments.

I'd keep trying mechanical means first Bob.

Interesting Steve; the dip tube in Florin's present engine is as you say " loose fit " -- I pulled it out & shortened it when building car. But this spare engine tube is like I said seems almost as if welded in block. Will endeavour to persevere with caution--- as the old Indian said.

No spare Nigel, but one is now required as all attempts to remove resulted in a destroyed tube; only finally giving up when drilled out.

Why it was so tight I have no idea, the current engine in Florin is only 4 months older in manufacture & that dip tube can be pulled out by hand.

There is no O ring so heat away

I just clamped a mole grip to the lowest point and turned until it came out

You will grinch the tube but it's thick ish steel so can file back

Once the tube is out it will not fit back in such a secure manner so I sewage the end, tap it back in with some thread lock and hylomar to seal as this is where oil will seep from

I used to use stuff called Wellseal as a joining compound on the old banger & hot rod engines.

It was almost impossible to dismantle afterwards, but it did stop all sorts of leaks.

Maybe it had summat similar to fit it?

http://www.wellseal.co.uk/

This is the new stuff......the old version did not have any "partability"