Windscreen Shattered

dandan62

Does anybody know where I can get a replacement windcreen for my S7. Shattered this morning. I am insured with Footman James and havent asked them yet as I have cover, but I assume they use Autoglass or someone similar who will have trouble.

Guest chris brown

Most glass supply people will cut you a laminated screen but you will have to make a pattern for them you will find it will be a bit thicker than your old toughened one but much safer. The subject has been covered on here lots of times do a search for lots of advice. BTW expect to pay around £40 for a laminated screen at a glaziers.

Many thanks. A local glazier it is then. Simpler than I thought! It seems the previous owner had put some new screws in for the roof poppers. One was too long and was putting a strain on the glass. I was going slowly and it went when I hit a bump. Glad to be replacing it with laminated anyway.

Guest 2b cruising

It might be worth seeing if you can either make the screen a little Lowe, so that it still fits the frame but gives room for the screws to pass over the top of the glass.

Only a suggestion as I have never had to put one in yet and don't know if the frame would allow for shorter glass.

I checked the screws holding my hood popers in for length before fitting the glass.

I ground about 1/8 inch off the tip to make sure the screw ended in the rubber sealing strip and not the glass.

The aluminimum channel realy does not have a lot of allowance for shorter glass im my opinion.

Awning rail was from my local caravan company. They keep accessories and have a workshop for repairing "broken" items.

There are 2 types , 1 with holes drilled ( and appropriate clearance holes for the screw heads), and just a complete strip --2 to 2.5 metres if I remember correctly.

I used the complete strip (no holes) . Filled the centre with a length of cable before I bent it to shape over the existing screen.

My screen frame has the rounded corners , not the original square form. Stuck it on with sikaflex or Tigerseal --no screw used at all.

Edge of hood has a pocket with aerial coax up the middle ---works just dandy... pop studs on end to fix to the A pillars.

Edited by Graham B