Wheel Stud Length

danielbrookes

Hmmm, good question. They certainly aren't described as oversize so assume not. They are supposed to be like for like replacements, only 47mm in length. I've managed to do one hub already so they definitely fit, it's just the others are being a right pig. I'll see how I get on with propper lump hammer.

It may or may not help but keep the studs in the deep freeze until you need to put them in and warm the hub up. Try that first before you bash hell out of it with a dirty great hammer. I have got tight bolts in like that before and it does make a bit of difference.

• Like 1

Guest 2b cruising

A club hammer is a bit to big and not quite as accurate as a normal 1.5 or 2 lb ball pien hammer.

A much cheaper addition to you tool box than a press. Especially if you already have a vice to use.

Guest evildave

Replaced my studs using a socket and wheel nut to pull them through, took a while but got there in thr end. Used some cutting fluid on the splines to ease them in.

Had a bad back this last week so haven't had time to try this again till now. What is the default spline size for these? I am starting to think the ones I have are oversize, they are 13.1mm.

Disaster today, tried heating hub in oven and also blow torching round the hole as well as freezing studs - I've just snapped one stud clean in half and no way are they going in via hammering. Something's not right.

Guest 2b cruising

If you were closer I would come.

Other than that you can post the bare hubs to me and all the new studs plus one of your old ones.

I have acces to a propper press.

I think a local garage would be willing to help you out for not to much cost if they have a press.

When hardened metal is frozen it gets brittle.

This method is good but care must be taken keeping the stud and whatever pressure in the direct direction of fit.

PM me for address if you would like me to fit them for you.

Guest Ian & Carole

It's starting to sound like you have bought the wrong studs, there are 2 different shank sizes available, I bought the wrong ones when I changed mine.

If you have the right ones they should pull through using an old wheel nut and a well lubricated couple of washers.

That does make sense because everything I read is telling me it should be much easier than this! I know the new ones I have are 13.1mm as thats what I bought, my vernier gague also says just over 13mm (its not that accurate) and I would say the old ones are slightly smaller, maybe 12.9mm.

I dont suppose you found out what the two different sizes are? One is 13.1 and the other?

Guest Ian & Carole

Sorry Daniel no, I bought mine from http://www.westwalesrallyspares.co.uk/

Great to deal with and happy to chat on the phone. Or they were last time I spoke with them.

If you rewind slightly , how easy was it to remove the old ones? Try refitting an old one just to reassure yourself.

Edited by Ian & Carole

Guest 2b cruising

.2 of a mm sounds about right for an interference fit.

The old ones will be smaller if they have been pressed in.

As Ian sugested, it's well worth talking to people in the know, and a link like that is a great help.

eBay might be good for prices but as the old but add used to say, it's good to talk.

Guest 2b cruising

Just had a route through the web and found standard dia for wheel studs is 13 mm.

Looks like yours are within spec allowing for iffy vernier.

If you decide to send to me don't buy new ones just yet.

I can easily get for you cos lots of motor factors near me.

Edited by 2b cruising